Chapter 31

"Lucy." Torun held his soft, curvy queen close to his chest. Her body felt whole in his arms. "You are well."

"But you're hurt." She stroked his bruised cheek. Her dark eyes shone with concern.

He bore many nicks from the short fight with Ailan's warriors. The salt water tingled as he healed.

Torun moved his hand under her waving clothes and squeezed her bare skin. "I will soon be well. And did you hear? The Life Tree was reborn. Our house seed responded to your power and has put down a root. Sireno will grow again."

She swallowed hard and withdrew. "I heard that makes you a king."

He needed her close. Torun drew her to his side again. "You are unhappy."

"I still can't have kids."

"The new Life Tree will heal you."

"But what if it doesn't?"

Her question contained all the sadness, all the longing, all the tears she had shed. The evil Blake had made her feel less than a female because of her problem. The new Life Tree would certainly heal her in the future. But right now, she was the one who had been captured by her people and sterilized.

She would have stayed with him after he endured that punishment. In the reverse, he would stay with her. She needed to hear him say it.

"If the new Life Tree does not heal you, and you are never able to bear our son, I do not care."

"But Torun, your species is endangered. You have to—"

"Another will take my responsibility."

She shook her head on those doubts.

He held her gently. "Lucy, you are my queen. From the moment your soul shone onto mine, you earned my devotion. Every action since has only strengthened our bond. I love, honor, and desire only you."

"You love me?"

His heart swelled with the truth. "I love only you."

She covered his mouth with hers. Her sweet promise shimmered in the water. He held her close.

While their mouths meshed, he vibrated. "If you will agree, I would like to share the marriage vows of your people."

"Yes!"

"Even though it may be a long time before we can get away to do so. A very, very long time."

"I don't care. I can't wait!"

The army of warriors murmured.

Curse their interruption.

Torun calmed his excitement and drew back.

Lucy licked her lips, sharing his promise. He would claim her, and she would welcome him.

Torun faced the superior force.

Jolan had been captured and was surrounded by warriors, and Malem was on the deck, guarding Blake. No other help would come from any quarter. He and Lucy were on their own.

She was all Torun needed.

He ordered them imperiously, "Disperse now, before you are needlessly hurt."

Sulan, the warlord leading the army, faced him soberly. "Exile Torun. The council demands you return to face final justice."

Lucy turned in Torun's arms to face Sulan. "Torun's your king."

"He has broken our traditions."

"So you'll break them back?" She snorted. "You're hypocrites. All of you. It's disgusting, and you should be ashamed."