Oh Its Game Day Baby pt. 2

*Wesley's P.O.V*

I slapped my stick lightly on the ice as the national anthem ended.

"And now your starting line up for Plainwell panthers!"

I zoned out the annoncer and watched as the other teams starting line up skated forward. Jack told me this would be an easy win in the lockeroom. Though I hadn't seen them play, they were all smaller than our team. Part of me wondered if we were actually playing V because this looks like a JV team.

"And now your starting line up for your home team Rogersville Hawks!"

The crowd yelled, surprising me at first. I didn't expect so many people to be watching.

"At center we have senior and team captain Jack MacGyver!"

I watched as Jack skated forward and stopped.

"Then on right wing junior Cole Plosaski! Left wing, senior Mark Davis!"

Cole and Mark skated forward stopping next to Jack.

"On defense you have senior Wesley Crusher and sophmore Leo Huxley!"

I looked at Leo next to me and nodded before we both skated forward, taking sharp stops at the blue line. Instinctively I held out my hand for Leo to fist bump. It was an old tradition between me and CJ that we would fist bump before every game. I guess it was a habit now.

Realizing what I had done I went to put my hand down, but Leo quickly fist bumped it and looked at me with a wide smile.

"And your Hawks goalie, number 39 Carter Pratt!"

Carter skated out of the bench and waved his glove in the air. Making his way to the net he slapped Jacks back lightly.

"And now for the rest of your Rogersville team!" The rest of the team skated out.

I took a deep breath and looked over at Leah. She was standing on the bench talking to coach with a smile on her face.

I looked away towards the other team. This was the part of hockey I liked.

***

I skated back to the bench ending my shift.

Leo by my side we jumped over the boards to the bench. We had barely sat down when I heard Leah's voice.

"What the hell are you doing?" Leah asked Leo.

Leo looked at her slightly confused.

"Uh, playing hockey?" He responded.

"Not like that you're not." Leah said crossing her arms.

I let out a small laugh, causing me to choke on my water.

"What do you mean!?" Leo questioned now offended.

"You iced the puck two times!" Leah exclaimed

"What did you want me to do? They were coming towards me by the net!"

"You could have passed it to Jack! He was open, and when you iced it twice that should have been indication you needed to end your shift."

Leo rolled his eyes and let out a huff, I lightly smirked before looking up at Leah.

"Jack wasn't open." He huffed out.

Just then Jack walked behind the bench towards Leah. He patted Leo on the helmet with a smile on his face.

"Yeah I was bud, both times. You just got to pick up your head and look." Jack explained before turning to Leah. "How many shots of goal do I have?"

Leah checked her clip board.

"About 6. I think I missed one when I was talking with coach."

Jack shook his head and walked away. I sat there for a moment and watched the my other players.

Even our non-starting line up was good, we were a killer team and we knew it. The 3rd period was coming to an end soon and we were up 4-0. Everyone was on fire, maybe it had something to do with the other teams being here, but either way we are playing good.

I looked over at Leah. Her eyes scanning the ice quickly, the entire game her eyes had been glued to the plays. I turned my eyesight back to the ice just in time to watch the other team snatch the puck and take it down ice towards Carter.

Shit, our D couldn't pull ahead in time it was a full on breakaway. Not that them scoring one goal would matter, but it still wasn't good.

"Carter! Sick side top shelf!" Leah yelled behind me

I watched as carters eyes got big, using his quick reflexes he reached his arm up and slid to the right, he blocked the incoming puck just in time.

The crowd went crazy. Carter handed the puck to the ref and looked over at Leah. Saluting her as if to say "thank you." Leah just nodded her head before returning to her clip board.

I didn't have much time to watch her write before I jumped over the boards for my last shift.

The puck dropped and Jack won the face off sending it to one of our offensive men. They took it up into the other zone, missing the shot he took the puck behind net only to be stopped by the opossing teams defense.

I looked over at Leo who was also at the blue line before I skated forward into the zone more.

With no other choice the offensive men dumped the puck out towards me. I quickly skated up to it on the boards. My stick aggressively trying to get the puck up from out of the boards, another player came up behind me, pushing me into the boards.

"Leo's at 7 o'clock!" I heard Leah's voice shout from the bench.

"That your girlfriend telling you what to do?" He chipped.

"Why you wanna know? You jealous?"  I said back through sneered teeth.

The guy pressed into me harder, still trying to take the puck, causing my stick to by impossible to use. Instead I took my skate and kicked the puck out towards 7 o'clock.

I never did that. I blind pass, I always looked up before I sent the puck somewhere. But for some reason I trusted that Leo was there. I heard someone slapping there stick on the ice but it was hard to tell which side was slapping their stick.

The pressure being released off of me, I looked over to see that Leo had the puck. I let out a sigh of relief and skated back into action.

Leo went no more than a few skates closer from the blue line before he ripped out a hard slap shot. Sending straight into the net on glove side just before the buzzer rang.

Skating over I hugged Leo.

"Buzzer beater! Nice shot!"

"Thanks!" He replied like I bouncing 4-year old.

This team was the fresh awakening I needed. We were good good, and it gave me a challenge, an even playing ground. I liked being on this team, for a moment (and just a moment) they made me forget about Randy and my passed team.

Words: 1148