44| The Future And The Past

When I was four I told my Mom that I wanted to be a tiger

When I was four I told my Mom that I wanted to be a tiger. When I turned six, it changed to race-car driver. On my tenth birthday I insisted that I wore a fireman's hat and ran around the room making siren noises. I'm not sure if I wanted to be a fireman or a firetruck.

I started playing hockey at five. I didn't actually enjoy it until I was nine. It got semi-serious when I was eleven and started playing in the peewee league.

Every year after that, when I was asked what I wanted to do when I grew up, I said that I wanted to be a hockey player.

Every birthday was hockey themed, nearly every gift was a jersey, a stick, a puck or a mini-goal and every training session I told my coach that I would be the best player to ever skate on ice.

To this very day I still tell Coach Johnson the same damn thing.

I'm determined to be the best. And to do thar I need to play for the best team with the best coaches, the best teammates, the best facilities and the best work effort.

I found that in my home state with the University of Michigan's Wolverines. I found that with Coach Maddie. I found that with Greyson Hastings and Logan Romano and Holden Zhao. I found that with all my guys.

And I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to leave that.

"If I could play for any team in the league," Reese starts, throwing a chip up into the air and catching it in his mouth. "It would be the LA Kings. They're just so slick and sharp."

Greyson is the first to scoff. "Sharp at losing! The only thing that's slick about the Kings is their jersey. Jesus, Reese, everybody knows you 'wanna stick on the East coast!"

"Oh yeah? Then what would you pick Mr Born And Raised in Colorado?" Logan teases with a beer in hand.

Grey sticks his tongue out at him, like a child, and takes a moment to think.

"I would pick the New York Rangers, baby. Best in the 'buis. I can already picture thousands of fans filling Madison Square garden- most wearing a jersey with my name on the back."

Everett laughs at him loudly. "God, Hastings, you're so basic. Of course you'd pick the most obvious New York team."

"Alright then, Minnesota. What'd be your pick?"

"Easy choice. Boston Bruins." Ev states immediately, as if the decision is obvious.

Logan claps and whoops loudly for the team he's supported since birth. "Solid choice, buddy. You have earned my respect."