Chapter 5: A High Chance of Death

Basically what Jon planned was to let Aria, the Saintess, do most of the work of killing the dragon while Frey goes ahead to support her with buffs and heals.

Meanwhile, Jon planned to mostly be annoying and distract the dragon to the best of his ability without actually dying of course.

Through this plan, it would allow him to gain plenty of EXP and not risk an all-out direct engagement which would surely end in his death.

Jon was still a rather young dragon, which the game system here classifies as a baby dragon.

All that needed to be done was for Jon and his companions to find the dragon and find a good time to attack.

That backfired really quickly as the dragon turned its head, clearly searching for something and stopped when its gaze finally rested on Jon.

[Immense bloodlust detected]

Shivers ran down Jon's spine as the crimson dragon's piercing golden eyes looked full of anger.

It felt to Jon like he was a tiny prey underneath the gaze of a giant predator.

"So, the puny little runt survived my attack after all! This time you won't be so lucky!"

Jon couldn't process the words properly as the dragon swooped down but just before it was going to hit the ground muzzle first, it went up in a V-shaped manner.

Without so much as a word, its underbelly and throat glowed bright orange, like lava was being pushed out of its body and proceeded to send a column of flame that disintegrated everything that the flames touched.

"Frey, make sure the hatchling is alright, I think I can hold it off long enough for you guys to make a run for it!"

As Frey barely heard Aria finish, she turned around to raise up her hands, creating a golden semi-sphere with intricate patterns forming.

As a testament to her power, the barrier was holding off but started to dissolve near the edges.

"By the gods, if Aria's holy shield ability can't fend off the dragon, she won't last long at all..."

Jon would normally try to use his head to get a plan or strategy going like he would do in Mystic Online but just like a new soldier on the front lines, the real thing is quite terrifying.

While Frey was trying to drag Jon away from Aria as she held off the flames that would soon engulf them all, Jon was staring at everything in slow motion.

Suddenly Jon was slapped out of his trance of fear by Frey using her enhancement ability on her forearm.

IF I even make it out alive, I doubt that dragon would leave me alone... Something tells me it was looking for me.

Tch-

In my current state, there's no way I can beat it and Aria probably can't hold out forever... Then there's no other choice!

Jon stood up again, to Frey's delight, before running away at his top speed leaving Frey and Aria behind.

As Jon ran away, Frey stared shocked and disappointed.

Unfortunately, Frey couldn't just leave Aria to fend for herself against such a monster, especially since the entirety of the town was in danger.

With a swift movement, she cast [Nature's Grace], granting a focused constant healing buff onto Arria, and followed it up with [Overgrowth] which doubled the stats of a single target.

However, [Overgrowth] had a drawback where it takes away Frey's stats by 50%, which in her mind is mostly an energy drain effect leaving her quite weak and dizzy.