Chapter 8: Forbidden Knowledge

"Seriously, are you a dragon? The only kind of dragon that can't fly is-"

"An Earth Dragon, yes I know... Look, uh, it's not that I can't fly, it's more like... I don't know how?"

Jon started to ask about flight and how it worked, essentially asking for a crash course on flying.

Unfortunately, Ren just shrugged and in short told Jon it was just a natural thing to do.

"Wait, I remember how my mother taught me how to fly! It was quick and easy!"

"Alright, now we're talking, spit it out!"

"It's easier if I just show you..."

Jon simply nodded, indicating his eagerness to learn.

However, what Jon didn't expect was to be thrown off the ledge with a large gust of wind of the cliff they were near.

Falling again was not at all pleasant for Jon especially since he still vividly remembered the impending death from his earlier fall.

"Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! WHYYYYYYYY!"

All he heard aside from the howling wind was Ren shouting that he has to flap his wings and tried let his instincts take over.

Ah, what the hell, no time than the present...

Jon flapped his wings as hard as he could, which did slow his decent but not completely halt.

A gust of wind made him slow his frantic flapping and forced him to flap in intervals, using the air currents as a sort of way to help him glide.

Slowly, Jon felt his instincts kick in and the wing flaps became autopilot, so instead, he focussed on the direction he wanted to fly in as well as the speed.

It took what felt like hours to somewhat gain a measure of control over his ability to fly properly, which sparked a flame of pride.

I do miss the enjoyment of mastering something, after all, being top of Mystic meant there wasn't much I didn't know.

Learning to walk again as a dragon on fours as well as on his digitigrade legs was painful, but flight to Jon felt completely different.

It was as if gaining a sort of freedom, the feel of the wind rushing off his face, his wing muscles flexing and of course the amazing view of the giant dome-like cove.

The feeling didn't last very long as a burning sensation started to spread rapidly from his wing muscles causing him to begin to fly erratically.

"Ho, I got you Nerius. Looks like your wing muscles are still new to flight so you will tire out rather quickly."

Ren caught him in her claws and started to head where he presumed was the Elder Wind Dragon.

"Hey, now that I think about it, how exactly do Wind Dragons fly? From what I can tell you don't seem to have wings..."

"Ah, well in simple terms, we use our wind affinity to manipulate the wind and air currents, allowing our lengthy bodies to essentially glide through the air."

"Huh, that's actually really cool. Well I suppose you are pretty much an Eastern Dragon which makes sense..."

"Eastern Dragon?"

"Oh uh, nothing. It's just a term I've heard from somewhere."

"Well alright, it shouldn't be too long until we reach my mother's temple... so hold on."

Jon was about to say he wasn't exactly in the position to hold on before Ren sped up greatly causing him to panic slightly since it felt like he was dangling over a bottomless abyss.