XXXV. Safe Haven

Chapter 35, Safe Haven
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" I feel like the world is punishing me, for something I don't know yet, but I know I'll find out. "

~ Natalie James's POV ~

The sun was shining bright on me, I got up slowly.
Rubbing my eyes, I groaned as my eyes adjusted to the lights.

I forgot where I was for a moment but then realized where I was, I got up from bed and grabbed a spare tooth brush from the bathroom and brushed my teeth with it.
I went downstairs and was immediately greeted by Mrs Martin.

"How did you sleep, do you want breakfast?"

I nodded at the breakfast part and gave her a thumbs up for the sleep part, I noticed my phone was on the charger.
I grabbed it, I had 325 missed calls, 462 missed FaceTimes and 3,479 missed texts.

Every text was asking where I was, if I was safe and why did I run away.
It didn't surprise me when there was absolutely nothing from Javon, he made his choice and I made mine.

I was scrolling through Instagram and decided to turn off my location, I didn't need people finding where I was due to me posting.
I was served bacon and pancakes with the side of apple juice, I thanked Mrs Martin and ate peacefully.

That's when Veronica came inside the house, she looked at me and smiled.
I hugged her tightly, she rubbed my back.
Now you're probably wondering 'Natalie what the hell!?'

The truth is I don't know, my mom always said I was blind to the red flags.
It was my fault, I just forgave easily and forget but it always hurt me in the end.

After I ate, I did my dishes and went upstairs to the room.
Veronica followed behind, I wish I knew what I was getting into when I ran away.

"You don't think you're keeping that food right?"

I looked at her confused, I didn't know what she meant by that.
Veronica went to her closet and took out two sets of leggings, crop-top and running shoes.

I got dressed and put my hair in a ponytail,
We went downstairs and left the house.
Veronica took me to a gym and started pushing me harder than ever.

I was sweating bullets and everything inside me cramped up, I didn't let my food rest well and now I was in pain.
She wouldn't let me take a break either, I was forced to do this for two hours before she was satisfied with how my body looked.

"I didn't want to do this, I came here to get my head and thoughts straight not to impress people."

I said out of breath, she handed me a water bottle and rolled her eyes, scoffing as well.

I should've left when I saw the signs but I didn't, I hate myself for it as well.
We got home and I took a shower, putting on a baggy shirt.

I always had clothes over here, Veronica shook her head and gave me a tight dress with some heels.
I sighed and changed, I felt uncomfortable by I was guest at their house and didn't dare complain.

"Vero, please give me a break."

I pleaded as she had me walk outside and run in heels to keep in shape.
My body was perfect the way it was but like I said i didn't see the signs at the time.

Everything in me felt disgusting, I couldn't even breathe without my stomach hurting.
Veronica looked at me disapprovingly and shook her head.

She grabbed my wrist and made me look at her.

"Vero, you're hurting me. Let go."

She only gripped harder, I squealed in pain.

"You're unattractive if you're not skinny, do what I say and people will love you."

Those words stung, I took the heels off and ran.
I always run, I know but I need a moment away from everyone and everything.

I ran to my safe space, I went to a beach.
I sat down and took a deep breath, it took a moment to calm down.

" I feel like the world is punishing me, for something I don't know yet, but I know I'll find out. "

I lied there and closed my eyes, rethinking over everything that happened.