Stay Safe, I'll Protect You

Jack's POV
My lungs seemed to stop working as Nick pointed the pistol at me.

A choked sound came out of (y/n)'s throat, and she looked up at me. She flinched and gripped my hand tighter.

"Say goodbye love." Nick smirked, then fired the pistol.

I dove to the ground just as Nick fired the pistol, taking (y/n) down you me. I covered my head as I heard the bullet hit the dirt near it.

Nick cursed and I leaped up, swung a fist at his jaw and it stuck with a satisfying crack.

I knew I had to act fast before he fired the pistol again and killed me or (y/n).

I tackled him to the dirt floor of the forest and slammed my clenched fist into his nose. All of my anger flowed through my veins and I punched him again.

"Jack-" (y/n) whimpered, jolting me out of my white rage.

I turned around and looked at her, my position softening a bit.

I wrenched the gun from Nick's hand and slammed the butt of the gun on his head.

I sat, kneeling next to his unconscious form, breathing heavily. I looked up at (y/n) and saw that her eyes held a bit of sympathy and she shook her head slightly.

"Oh Jack." She muttered as she climbed to her feet.

Normal POV
"Oh Jack." I muttered as I climbed to my feet, and walked toward him.

His gaze cleared and he looked at me with tired eyes.

I gently pried the gun out of his clenched fingers and threw it aside. He didn't move as I did so, only blinking and looking at me blankly.

"Jack." I said more clearly, looking at him with concern. "We need to get out of here."

"What?" His voice was quiet and subdue.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet.

He seemed to snap out of it at my touch and looked at me with his burning brown eyes. "Right. Escaping."

He adjusted his grip on my hand and practically pulled me away from Nick.

"What's the plan?" I asked, while trying to keep up with him.

"Get far away, as fast as possible." Jack said, his eyes scanning the trail ahead of us.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"Yes." He answered frostily.

"No, you're not." I argued.

"Love, I almost got shot. Don't ya think I would be a little out of it?" He snarled, his dripping with venom.

I ducked my head and kept silent, knowing that he wouldn't do good if I got him more riled up.

We traveled in silence for several moments before he sighed, turned around and looked behind us.

"He's not going anywhere for a while." I said softy, trying to ease his restlessness.

He opened his mouth, but then shut it, as his eyes darted around.

"I didn't mean to snap at you, I'm just stressed." He said quietly, looking at me.

I squeezed his hand. "I know."

He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye and smirked.

We kept waking in silence, until we reached a deep, narrow cave.

"We staying here?" I asked.

Jack shook his head and his dark, brown locks flew in front of his face, then laid back against his shoulders. "No love, you are staying here while I get food." He corrected me gently.