Ten

LUKE

I knew as soon as she pulled that bottom lip between her teeth that I wasn't going to be able to stop myself.

I knew Bunker had the hots for her too, which might have been part of the reason I was so hell-bent on kissing her. Deep down I knew it wasn't, not really. The truth was Carter was different. She was unlike any girl I'd ever met. And I was immediately intrigued by her. She was immediately offended by me.

I knew she wasn't a puck bunny; she was too damn clever when it came to hockey to be one. But I wanted to wind her up, to see her squirm. It backfired, and I'm only grateful she decided to give our friendship a second chance.

And now here we were, in my bedroom, kissing. I knew I'd promised pizza, but she seemed to be into this enough to forget about it, at least for now.

When she laid down against the wall, I knew she was comfortable enough to sleep. I was too wired. I'd had a fair bit to drink and knew I should take the floor. But the idea of cuddling her was too good to pass up, so I wrapped my arm around her and felt her slip into a deep sleep. A quiet knock on the door pulled me out of my trance as I fantasised about Carter, me cursing under my breath and checking to make sure the idiot delivering my pizza didn't wake her. He hadn't, and I quickly paid for the pizza and kicked him out.

I really didn't want to wake her, but I knew she was hungry, so I gently tapped her shoulder.

"Pruitt?"

"Hmm"

"Pizza's here"

She groaned and stayed asleep. I figured I'd eat some then leave her the rest. I had ordered her a red Gatorade, because of her stupid red drink theory, as well as a blue one for myself. I had a few slices of pizza, drank half the Gatorade, then allowed myself to snuggle in next to her and finally sleep.

Of course, the morning could have been smoother. A smooth morning meant I would have actually been there, instead of where I ended up. My phone rang at some ungodly hour (okay, it was 9:00 am) and I groaned as I grabbed my phone and answered it.

"What"

"Luke?" Georgia's voice came.

"What do you want Georgia?"

I sat up, my head aching the second I did so. I took back the rest of the blue Gatorade. Carter slept in the exact position she had been in last night. I smiled, before Georgia began to speak again.

"It's Scott. You need to come talk some sense into him"

"Scott? What?"

"You guys went to a party last night?"

"Yeah"

"Well he didn't stop drinking and has just shown up home drunk out of his mind"

There was a crash in the background.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Him. He's throwing shit around and yelling like a mad man" She sounded concerned and maybe a little, scared.

"Luke I have to go to work, please come sort him out. I don't have numbers for anyone else in the team" She said. I considered it. Their house was only a twenty-minute walk away, but I could run there in about ten.

I wasn't just fast on the ice, okay?

"Where's your mom?"

"She's out of town for the week on business. Please come"

"I'll be there in about ten minutes. Let me get dressed first" I hung up the phone and groaned, running my fingers through my hair.

"God damn it Bunker, you're really going to ruin shit for me." I said. It was probably true; I just don't know which Bunker.