Sixty-Six

The snow began on Christmas morning and didn't let up until the morning of the 27th, thankfully just before Lexi was set to board her flight in Minnesota. She was landing here at 3:30 and I was heading to the airport to get her soon as I was using the subway to get there but getting a cab back to my place so we could drop her things at my house before we went exploring. If she was feeling up to it. Either way, I was decked out in all my warm winter gear, and comfy shoes on foot for walking around the city.

I made my way to the airport and towards the domestic arrival gates, sitting down after finding out how far away her plane was. She was meant to be landing in the next ten minutes, so it wouldn't be too long until I saw her. She'd called me this morning at 7:30 to gush about coming. Granted it was 7:30 for her, meaning it was 8:30 here. But that didn't mean I wasn't still in bed and enjoying a sleep-in. Now it was almost 3:30 and she was about to finally be in the city she seemed so desperate to see.

The city was pretty cool, I'll admit it. But being a native, I liked the undiscovered things about it and not the tourist traps that were littered throughout. Seeing Lexi all excited was going to be worth it, so I kept telling myself.

Soon I saw her plane land and her blonde head exit, heading for the doors hurriedly seeing as it was freezing outside. She made it in and her eyes lit up when she saw me.

"Carter!" I grinned.

"Hey Lex, welcome to the city that never sleeps"

"Oh my god, flying overhead was just beautiful! What are we doing first?" I chuckled.

"Easy tiger, we're gonna get your bag and head back to my place to drop it off. Then if you want to go out exploring we can go out. If you want to chill and go out tomorrow, then we can do that. You've probably been up since 4 am" She rolled her eyes.

"No I haven't, it was a respectable 6:30, thank you" I chuckled.

"Come on, let's go get your bag"

We made our way to the baggage claim area, swapping Christmas stories and catching up, even though it had been less than a week since we last saw each other. I filled her in on mine and Luke's conversation on the way to the airport and parts of mine and Fraser's that day too. She told me about Tate's Christmas gift to her which she wore proudly around her neck. He'd splurged and gotten her a Tiffany's necklace, a tiny heart-shaped pendant with an inscription on the back.

"God he's such a fucking romantic" I commented as she smiled and grabbed her suitcase.

"The worst. I bought him tickets to a hockey game that he was excited about. The Bruins are playing in Minnesota a week after New Year's so I got him two tickets for him and Bunker, seeing as it's their favorite teams' and Bunker gets back from Boston a day before the game."

"That's pretty cool Lex, he would have been stoked. Bunk too"

"They were wrapped, I gotta admit. Bunker's glad you and I will be back on campus early too." I nodded.

"I bet he would be. Poor guy, I thought my family was fucked up then I met him"

"How has your break been so far?"

"Weird. Mom's been kind of pleasant. I think she thinks hockey's gone from my brain completely. So none of the guys can be brought up" Lexi rolled her eyes as we walked towards the parking lot where the cabs lined the sidewalk.

"I know, I won't even mention Shawn unless she asks. I'll lie and say he's a nerd too"

"Tate is a nerd. I've heard him talk about Star Wars"

"Yes but I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate learning that he's majoring in sports and recreation, she'll probably figure out some connection"

"Smart, good thinking. What is Shawn's major now then?"