Seventy-Six

*TW* Self Harm *TW*

FRASER

"Carter-" I tried to grab her hand, but she shook her head.

"It's fine"

I watched her unlace her skates and run, followed quickly by her mother. I hoped she was heading for her room, and I really hoped she got there fast enough to lock the damn door.

I knew that if I followed her now, her mom would get pissy at me and I might not be able to hold myself back from her. I wouldn't hit her, but I knew if I got more involved than I already was, Carter would never forgive me.

As soon as they were gone, I jumped off the ice and unlaced my skates, leaving them where they were as I sprinted across campus in my socks, trying like hell to get to Centennial. I pulled my phone out.

"Carter, please answer your fucking phone!" It went to voice mail after a few rings, then started going straight to it with every next call. She'd switched her phone off. I picked up the pace and ran as fast as I could. My feet were fucking freezing beneath me. But I needed to get there, to make sure she was alright.

I didn't even wait for the elevator. The adrenaline coursed throughout my entire body as I ran up five flights of stairs to get to Carter's floor. The only issue was the stairs I took exited at the other end of the floor, so Carter's room was way down the other end.

I could see her mom banging on the door, the Chancellor was trying to convince her to come back to his office for a cup of tea to calm down. She was yelling at Carter, yelling at him. Luke walked out of the bathroom and saw them, then me.

"What the hell's going on?" He asked, walking towards me.

"Her mom showed up" Was all I said.

"And?"

"And caught us skating together. She was trying to teach me figure skating"

God, it all sounded so dumb when I said it out loud.

"And her mom?"

"Trying to take her back to New York"

"Is she okay?" I shrugged, honestly too.

"I don't know. She said she wasn't going anywhere, took off her skates, and ran like hell to get here. I only left the rink after her mom did because I didn't want to make shit worse. I hightailed it over here and ran up the stairs"

"You look like you've seen a ghost"

"I don't feel great"

"Seriously McGill, you look pale as shit. Come on, get some water." Luke guided me to a water fountain in the hallway. Carter's mom still beat on her door. She took breaks to yell at Richards then resumed beating on the door again. I took a long drink and steadied myself on my feet.

"Thanks, man." Luke shrugged.

"It's no problem. Do you think she's okay? Like I feel like Carter would have come out and screamed at her mother by now. She's not the type to hide away" He said. I nodded. My head was spinning like crazy and I couldn't seem to gain control of my thought train as it whizzed around my brain.

Luke was right though. I caused her to break her wrist and she confronted me about it that day. She consistently told me what she thought of me, even when I was being the biggest douche in the world and flipping my personality back and forth. She stood up to my dad for me when I fought with him over Thanksgiving. She went straight to Lexi when she nearly broke my nose.