thirty four

message from "leon"

don't think you're smooth bc i looked up the song SO THERE IS HOPE unless that was just a coincidence but i am going to take it as hopeand i hope you enjoy your flowers today :) delivered

bc i looked up the song
SO THERE IS HOPE
unless that was just a coincidence
but i am going to take it as hope
and i hope you enjoy your flowers today :)
delivered

it was a pretty boring day
i haven't been doing much since you
it's been just me and bow recently
we just got back from playing the cali teams
we did alright
second in the pacific conference 😏
no biggie
but the flames are first
and you would never choose me over
you brother so
but i don't mind, it's your brother
so i understand
delivered

i wonder how your days are going
what are you doing?
i imagine you just started
a new semester at school so starting classes
bc you're smart and went to school
you get ready with your friends for the games
watch your little murder movies
watching old spittin chicklets golf videos
saying that it will help your technique
but you just want to watch crosby and mackinnon
everybody knows the real reason but it's
the usual
i miss being in your usual
delivered

it will never hurt less to see that delivered
read

______

I was currently sitting on the couch. I have spent all night watching games between the Leafs, Oilers, and Flames. The Oilers game ended about two hours ago, Leon got a hat trick. It was bittersweet, I can't stop myself from watching the games, to catch moments like those where I see his smile. It was nice to see him happy. It's been a month since I found his text messages and the feeling of heartbreak still hasn't left my chest. And reading his texts every day over and over until I practically memorize them, doesn't help.

I didn't know where I stood with him, he confessed his love for me multiple times...over text. But, I was so scared of letting him back in, I don't think I could take getting hurt by him one more time. Lauren, Connor's girlfriend, constantly texts me about how Leon never shuts up about how he is going to win me back, no matter how long it takes. One time she sent a video of him just aimlessly talking about me and it made me want to cry about how much I missed him.

Leon sits in the kitchen of the McDavid's household and he is just mindlessly mumbling different ideas to Connor, who wasn't even listening.

"She likes flowers, yeah, I've done flowers. She wouldn't throw my flowers away. Uh-I could-I could send Bowie with her for the weekend, like co-parents. Yeah, co-parents...for now but then like parents. Like we are together and we could be happy family. Uhh maybe I could get her more books, though she doesn't need anymore but, I could, maybe I could write in it for her." He thought out loud. "Yeah, maybe she would like that," He mumbled while typing all of his ideas into his phone with the header "Project Riley."

Lauren snickers behind the camera and Leon's head snaps towards her and he narrows his eyes. "Are you filming me?" He questions. Lauren shrugs innocently.

Leon pursed his lips and thought about what she was doing. "Why are you filming me?" He asks carefully.

"I was going to send it to Riley," She mumbles. Leon frowns a little bit because Riley is talking to Lauren and not him. But, realizes that Riley is going to see this. He smiles and says, "Well, then continue."

Lauren laughs at the sight of Leon being all smiley and going back to his "plan."

I watched the video about every hour since she sent it to me yesterday. A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, I went up to the door and peeped through the hole. I didn't see anybody there. Ignoring every thought about safety, I opened the door.

I look left out of the door. Nothing. I look right and see a drunk Leon laying against the wall with his eyes closed. I groan internally.

"Leon, what are you doing here?" At my voice, he bolts right up and stands in front of me. He looks at me for a second, a goofy drunk smile on his face. Then, he opens up his phone and it automatically pulls up to the Flames game happening in Vegas right now.

"You don't like to be alone," He mumbles.

I bite on my cheek to contain my smile, "I don't you're right but, why are you here?"

He ignores my question, "Did you know I got a hatty tonight?"

I nod, "Yeah, I watched it."

He smiles, "You still watch my games?"

I nod. He won't remember any of this, so might as well be honest.

A blush creeps upon his cheeks and he ducks his head in embarrassment. "That's cool," He says while rubbing the back of his neck.

He stumbles a little bit and goes to lean back on the wall more. I grab his hand and pull him in the apartment. His eyes widen as he stumbles into the place he never thought he would be in again.

I pull him to the couch to sit down. "Sit there and don't move," I tell him. He salutes me and turns his attention to the Flames game on the TV.

I go to the kitchen and grab a glass of water for him. I definitely did not expect a drunkenly Leon to appear on my doorstep today but, I wasn't that mad. He was here and I wasn't going to turn him away at 11 pm when he was drunk. Maybe this was goodbye for us. One last good time together before we can say goodbye. Yeah, that's what it was.

I walk back out to the living room to see Leon in the exact same spot he was in when I left. I sit next to him and brush his hair back from his face, "Hey, drink some water please," I softly tell him.

He snuggles his face into my hand and takes the water. "I missed you," He muttered quietly.

I lay my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his stomach. "I did too," I whisper.

We stay like that, wrapped up in each other, making up for time and just absorbing each other. "This feels like a goodbye," He croaks. "It isn't our goodbye, Riley." He pleads, his voice cracking a little bit.

I close my eyes, a small tear slipping out. I say nothing, just keep playing with his hair.

"This isn't our goodbye," He repeats, alarmed by my silence. "I can't go without you."

I bite on my lower lip as I struggle to keep my cries in.

He turns his body around, so he is laying on my chest and he was holding on to me like I was going to fade away. "I am sorry," He continuously whispers into my chest.

"I know," I sniffle. "I know."

And we fall asleep. Fall asleep in each other's embrace. Trying to run away from tomorrow. Tomorrow of awareness, where things happen and you can't run away from them. We fall asleep together and hope we don't break overnight.