fifty one

*note: the timeline is fucked but they met 6 months ago and have been together for 2 months*

3rd PERSON POV

It was 11 pm on Riley's birthday when everything went wrong. Riley and Leon were in her room watching 16 wishes, Riley's favorite movie to watch on her birthday. They didn't know that Matthew was downstairs with a birthday cake trying to surprise Riley. The Flames played the Predators last night and he got an early flight home, so he wouldn't miss spending her birthday together. They have spent every birthday together for her entire life and he wasn't going to ruin that this year. But, one or two things were being ruined tonight.

Matthew smiled as he heard his sister giggle, reciting the words of the movie she had seen a million times.

He slowly inched towards the door, slipped into her almost pitch-black room, and went towards the light switch to turn on the lights.

It was another laugh that made him hesitate. Just a moment of hesitation, not long enough for the next course of action to change.

He switch on her lights and yelled out, "Surprise!" What he saw wasn't what he expected.

His face dropped as he saw Leon Draisaitl in his sister's bed with his arm around her. And their faces dropped too. They knew they had been finally caught.

Matthew didn't say anything. Riley peeled herself off of Leon and sat up, waiting for Matthew's reaction—anger, disappointment, or hurt.

"Matty," Riley whispered, her voice cracking, at her brother who stood there for a while just staring between the two of them.

His eyes cut to her. She was floored by his expression. His eyes held hurt and confusion, but his face was all anger and she had done that. She did this to herself.

"What the fuck," Was all he said.

Riley immediately jumped in, "Matty it isn't what it looks like," She paused. "Well, it is, but we didn't mean for you to find out this way," She rambled.

"How long?" He croaked.

Riley sighed painfully, "6 months." Then, she waited for it, waited for what was coming—the anger, the anger she knew was coming.

Matthew just stared at her, painfully stared at her. Almost as a way of punishing her, she had to look him in the eyes as she admitted how long she lied to him.

"Matty, I am an adult," She sighed.

Then, his eyes got hard, the anger.

"I don't care how old you are, you are my best friend and you lied to me thousands of times, so don't say that bullshit," He seethed.

Leon's jaw clenched, he didn't like his tone with her, but now wasn't the time.

Matthew glanced at Leon in disgust, "Get out of my house," He seethed.

Riley gasped and stood up from her bed. "Matthew, do not talk to him like that. This is not his fault, do not take it out on him."

Leon got up and walked behind her, kissing her head, "Hey, it's okay. I'll go. It's fine."

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes and that sight alone made his chest hurt. "Okay," She whispered, her voice cracking.

He turned around and walked towards her door. As she turned around the look at her one more time she mouthed, "I love you," to him. One last time. She knew what Matthew was going to say, and she wasn't ready for it.

Once the front door shut she painfully turned back to face Matty. He was watching her with a pained expression.

"Why?"

A tear slipped down her cheek, she quickly wiped it away. "We fell in love," She shrugged.

His lip curled, "How long have you lied to me?" He asked. "How many times have you lied to me for him?"

She broke, "I don't know, Matty," She cried.

"How many times Riley?" He pressed.

She desperately wiped her tears as they keep coming, "A lot, fuck, a lot."

He nodded and said nothing.

"I love him, Matthew," She whispered.

He still didn't say anything.

"Please don't make me do it."

"You choose between him or your family. Do you love him enough to give up your family?"

"It's just you, Matthew. Mom, Dad, and Taryn know. I'm sure Brady wouldn't care," She snapped. "It's just you. Just you fucking ruining me. Is that what you want? Are you so selfish that you can't see me happy because it is somebody you like? Because I am pretty fucking happy right now and you are about to ruin everything. So the real question is, do you want your pride to stay happy, or do you want to destroy your sister?"

His jaw was clenched and his knuckles were white. "Do it, Riley."

She struggled to keep her sobs in her body as she stared at her brother. "You're dead to me. Get out of my room," She demanded. He stayed there. "Matthew, get out," She seethed.

He slowly started walking for her door, and was about to close the door when he said, "Do it." Then, he closed her door, leaving her alone.

She collapsed to the ground as soon as she heard the door close. Her cries overtook her body as she let everything go. Her chest throbbed painfully as if her heart was being physically ripped out.

She struggled to get up as she climbed onto her bed for her stuffed animal that Leon won for her at a carnival. She saw her phone lit up and she looked at her lock screen seeing a message.

message from 'loverboy'
riley please tell me if you are okay, or if you need to come over. i will come and get you if i need to, okay? promise me you'll let me know. i love you too.

She squeezed her eyes shut as hard as she could, trying to forget the memories and the feelings. She laid down, her broken body and broken soul being torn from the inside out.