27. The Haunted.

Levi.

"The usual." I lift two fingers to Maxwell, the local bartender and my favorite. He is social, and he doesn't judge me for drinking day in and day out, unlike other bartenders. They are not entitled to judge me, but they're humans it is what they do, and so I don't blame them. I blame myself, I blame myself that even after two months, those monsters still haunt me.

Haunt me all the way to the city. Over the last two months, I managed to settle in. To fit it, and live like the other teenagers. I got enrolled in another high school, Bill is the one who chose it for me. He is a good man, but he doesn't have any idea what I am, what Sandy is. I bet it will break him when he learns the truth, but for now, his heart is safe.

I wonder how both Sandy and I have managed to put up the show for him to believe. He met her when he came to our small town to visit his grandmother, a few more months later they got married. I was against it at first, but with time, I understood that Bill made Sandy happy and I figured she deserved that much seeing as both my dead mother and I reaped away all the happiness she could ever have.

But not even once has she forsaken me for that, she still adores me unconditionally and so does Bill. But of course, we have our weird moments because we really can't bond.

He works as a reporter for some well-renowned company here, and he is barely home. He doesn't worry about me, though, as long as my grades are high. Sandy is happy and he is too.

He is forced to stay in the city because of his work, and Sandy refused to move here with him. She said she loved the peace that came with a quiet town than the industrious and loud city.

If only that small town was peaceful anymore. After my mother's death, everything went south, the pack banished us, and the vampires hated us, especially me because I am the bastard son of Hermis, the great vampire. The ruthless vampire in the history of bloodsuckers.

"Whiskey on the rocks," Maxwell says, sliding a glass over to me. "You've been drinking so much lately, mate, are you alright?"

I bite my lip and contemplate whether to cry out like a little bitch to this stranger. He wouldn't take anything I say seriously, he'd think it is just a drunk guy's talk.

"I am fighting demons, Maxwell. I moved from my small town to this big city. I ran away from them, but they still haunt me, it's as if there's no place I can go that they won't follow me," I explain while I down the third glass of whiskey. The bitter liquid only tastes like mere water at this point.

To say I turned into a drunk would be valid. But what other way I there to get rid of these demons haunting me?

"Trust me mate, I know your pain," Maxwell says, wiping the spotless counter. Just a habit all bartenders have, I guess.

"Whiskey. Two, please. One for my friend here," a feminine voice speaks. I don't understand why she is buying me a drink, but that is not what bothers me. It is her voice, her voice is the one that sniffs my attention. I avert my gaze from my drink to her.

She wears a dark hoodie covering her face and some black jeans as well as combat boots. The weather is mild, but why do I care?

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I finally ask.

"As a matter of fact, yes," she says and turns to look at me. My heart lashes from my chest and falls to my stomach at the sight before me. "Hello, Levi."

How?

My sternum hurts because my heart is hitting on it so hard, that I can barely breathe.

How's this possible?

I look closely, I even blink to see whether I'm dreaming or not. I am simply astounded.

What the hell is Eve Sinclair doing here? What happened to Ivy? If she laid a finger on her, I swear to God I will tear her piece by piece.

"You two know each other?" Maxwell speaks from the other side of the counter.

"Yes, we are old friends." Eve smiles and takes a sip from her drink before she turns to me with her quizzical blue globes. "We need to chat."

Without another word, she goes outside the bar, and I glance at Maxwell before following her out. It is almost dark, if not for the streetlights giving this place a glow.

"What happened to Ivy?" I ask as soon as I get the chance.

Eve chuckles and removes her hoodie. "She's counting her last days," she says.

How dare she?

"You wouldn't dare," I rumble.

"Oh, sweet sweet Levi. Don't you remember? You ran away from the responsibility of protecting her and dumped it on my best friend, now we are not even friends anymore. I blame you for that," she says.

"I have no-"

"No, don't give me that bull crap, now come and get your ass whooped for turning my best friend against me," she says, and without another word, she pounces on me.

I don't see it coming, I am still confused, and so I don't anticipate the blow she lands on my cheek. I stumble but regain my balance.

I think that whiskey did a number because I am drunk.

"Oh, will you fight me like a man or be a bitch you're!" She screams before coming at me again. This time, I act quickly and managed to dodge her blow, instead, I grab her by her shirt and pin her to the wall.

My hand rests on her breast and I couldn't have imagined they are this soft.

What the hell?

"What do you want from me, Eve?" I ask, trying to destruct myself from the heat on her breasts.

"Simple," she says and with not as much as a warning, she lands her lips on mine.

What in the actual fuck?

I push her away, and she crashes into the nearest wall.

"You came all the way to seduce me? Disgusting!"

"Oh, relax, I needed to make you an offer. Now that I have your attention," she smirks. "Shall we talk?"