17. Bonding.

Willow

She blinks down at the lamented menu in front of her, only recognizing a few words here and there, but she's mostly just looking for something to occupy her attention. She feels like she's entering an interrogation. She wishes she could be anywhere else besides here.

On the opposite side of the booth, Jack clears his throat. "Hope you like Mexican food."

Her stomach can barely stand it. She has a hard time with spiciness. She doesn't blame him for not knowing this fact about her. I guess that's the whole point behind today's meeting.

Mom had suggested this. Though she tried to act like it was both parents idea, but there's no way Jack would think of something like this. He looks just as lost as Will right now.

Back in February, right after Valentine's Day, the parents had called the teens downstairs to the table. Elena had her arms crossed over her chest and Jack was rubbing the back of his neck. Will knew Jace was just as panicked as her. They were both thinking the same thing: have we been caught? Is this over?

I just think now that we've all had some time to adjust to our new lives, maybe now is the time to really strengthen the relationships in this house, especially before you both leave for college, Elena had said.

What that translated to is her now sitting alone at a Mexican restaurant with her step father who looks completely out of his element. Of course he doesn't know how to speak to a teenage girl. Why is Mom pushing this so much? It had kept getting pushed out until March came up. Prom is only a few weeks away.

"Mexican's great." She tries to sound excited. It's a small lie, which means it's not going to hurt anyone. That's how she's weighing this personal dilemma as her and Jace become more serious. As long as no one gets hurt, everything's okay. "What do you like to get here?"

He gives the menu a glance and then shakes his head. "To be honest, I don't much like Mexican food. Your mom loves it though so I might've assumed it was yours as well."

Shit. "We can go somewhere else if you'd like."

"It's fine," He waves his hand with a smile. He's a different type of handsome as Jace. They have the same hazel eyes and dark hair but everything else, Jace took after his mother. And where Jace still has that boyish look, his father has crow's feet and laugh lines. "I appreciate you coming out today."

"I appreciate you coming out," She repeats automatically but she means it. Obviously for him to do this must mean something. "I know this is important to Mom."

"Yes, and it's important to me as well. I know you and your mom have been through a lot. And I know you've taken care of her along the way. While I can't ever be your dad, I want you to know I'm here for you and I'm in your corner."

She blinks at him, a bit taken back. "Wow. You're kind of like Jace in that way."

He looks confused. "In what way?"

She realizes she's speaking out loud. She shakes her head. "I just mean that, like, you guys get right to the point. You don't waste your time or beat around the bush. You say what's on your mind. Most people aren't like that."

"Sorry—"

She puts her hands out as if to stop him. "No! No! That's not what I meant. Not in a bad way. It's good. I mean, I really respect it in Jace. He's so honest and he doesn't waste any time letting you know how he feels."

Jace. She forgot what she was doing. She wishes she could be home with him right now and just relax. She can't get lost in that day dream though. Right. Mexican food. Dinner with Jack. Bonding.