17

namkyu

"i always thought you were pretty." the boy blurted, still staring into my eyes.

my eyes widened out of shock, "w..what??"

taking a minute to slowly notice my reaction, he quickly looked away.

but he already said it.

"yeah... when i was young i didn't really pay attention to people, but i thought you were the most prettiest girl i've ever seen." he admitted, speaking with no shame.

you can't tell me this isn't love, right?

that was spoken with absolute sincerity.

at least that's what i hoped...

and because of that, i felt my heart pounding so hard. i felt like it would jump out of my chest, it was a bit embarrassing as well because i could hear it.

i wondered if he could hear it too.

his eyes looked back at me without turning his head fully, i was still in a bit of shock.

"do you believe me?" he asked.

all i did was shake my head hesitantly.

it was true though. i didn't believe him.

me? the person he picked on the most?

all that teasing, and that whole time, he thought i was pretty?

now i'm just curious, sunghoon.

"what else did you think about me?" i asked bravely.

tell me more.

maybe then, i'll believe you.

i noticed his eyes slightly widen even though he wasn't looking at me. did he not expect me to ask that?

he was staring off into the distance again, and so did i. i hadn't even realized that it was getting dark already.

just as i was waiting for his answer, the next words that came out of his mouth left me in disappointment.

"uh, it's getting dark. we should go home now." he said, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

even though i think his face is really handsome, i still have the thought of punching that 'handsome face' sometimes.

"k."

i turned around and left, doing as he suggested.

so i don't know why he got confused all of a sudden,

"wait, 'k' what?" he asked, rushing to follow me.

"i'm just agreeing? it is getting dark and we should go home!" i smiled back sarcastically.

"you're upset." he said, "why?"

i scoff and stop abruptly to face him, "stop pointing out the obvious, it's clear why. you always brush things off, and maybe you're not ready for some things but i get impatient too, you know?" i let out a heavy sigh, "i'm tired of getting rejected by you."

he raised a brow, "rejected? what do you mean?"

i quietly groan once more, "when i make a move, you always reject me, or switch the topic. it happened twice today and it's embarrassing." i told him, holding two fingers up.

he shook his head, denying and correcting me, "you know i wanted it too."

i tilted my head. it was my turn to be confused, "what?"

then why didn't you?

nothing's stopping you, right?

i'm already doing you a favour by initiating it, so why do you think you need to reject me if you want it as well?

he just sighed and looked down, "i'm sorry."

"for what."

"i'm just sorry."

"you always say that now."

he looked up and stared at me, "i feel it a lot."

"tell me then. why do you feel sorry...?"

sunghoon

why do i feel sorry?

because i'm going to hurt you all over again,

and i'm not doing anything about it.

well, this 'rejecting' is the best i can do, right?

i really can't find any other solution.

i want to stop feeling sorry.

i was thinking so much that i hadn't realized that she was getting a bit impatient.

"forget it. i'm not gonna force it out of you, just know that i'm ready to listen." she says while letting out a quick sigh, which sounded more like a huff before turning around to walk away.

she looked like she was leaving me, but then she stopped and turned her head like she was checking if i was following or not.

"you coming?" she asked.

i don't know why,

but i really do think i like her.

and when i say that, i mean it.

something about the tone in her voice. it's soft, even when she has a bitter look on her face.

and the way her hair always knows which direction to go whenever it's windy.

or the way she puts up with things even though it upsets her.

i'm not sure, but i just know that i like all of it.

a small smile curved onto my lips as i nodded happily, "yeah, i'm coming."

my feet then started moving on it's own, rushing and catching up to the girl.

she's nice. that, i can't deny.

but her being nice is going to make things hurt a lot more.

it's like putting all your effort into building the tallest tower made of blocks in class, only for some random kid to knock it down.

except those toy blocks represent her trust.

and that random kid that knocks it down,

is me...

writer's block 🫰