Chapter 3- A case from ten years ago

"Sunbae.... there has been a murder... and I think... Jeong Min-ho is back"

"What!?" I almost yelled not believing what I just heard

"It's hard to explain it over the phone... sunbae... just come soon. I'll send you the location," Jaemin said 

"Alright, I'm coming," I said disconnecting the call. Not wasting any more time, I got off the bed and rushed inside the washroom to freshen up. Once I was done, I changed into my work outfit and tied my hair like I always did. Spraying the lavender fragrance perfume and putting on my ID card like I always left, I grabbed my bag along with my car keys and phone and left my room. I found Jaehyun making faces so that Ji-hun would eat her food properly. Every day, I would join them and have breakfast but today, instead of joining them I went straight to the shoe rack.

"Mom~ Have breakfast with us~," Ji-hun said and it was hard to refuse her but I had no option

"Later Ji-hun... I have to leave now" I said

"Y/n! Here take this" Jaehyun said coming running towards me before handing me over a small bag

"There's sandwich and fruit juice in it. You shouldn't work on an empty stomach" He said

"But how did you know that I'll be leaving early?"

"Whenever you receive a call early in the morning, you always leave early," He said making me smile before I leaned forward and pecked his lips

"Thank you so much! You know me so well!" 

"Of course. Also, about dropping Ji-hun, I'll do that when I'll leave for the hospital so don't worry about anything and drive safely"

[Time skip: Crime scene]

Arriving a the crime scene, I was met with the horrified look on people's faces and questions by the media but I had no time to waste. The other officers bowed and allowed me to enter the crime scene when Jaemin came running toward me, showing me the way.

"Sunbae, the victim-" I cut him off in the middle by saying,

"We'll talk about that once we see the victim. But for now, why did you tell me that Jeong Min-ho is back?"

"Here, take this and follow me," He said handing me over a case file that said, "Yeongam Gurim serial murder case" while I followed him further inside the crime scene which was in the middle of a forest. While walking, I took a brief on the case file and wondered what made him say that a serial killer who was supposed to be dead ten years ago was back all of a sudden.

I stopped in my tracks when I witnessed the horrible sight in front of me. How can one human murder another human so brutally in just one night? The forensics did their job of inspecting the crime scene and taking photographs. Soon, Minjun sunbae and team leader Cha walked to where Jaemin and I stood. 

"Y/n, I think this time... we'll have to investigate a dead serial killer" Minjun sunbae said 

"Sunbae, did you take a look at the case file I gave you?" Jaemin asked making me nod. Minjun sunbae took the file from me and flipped a few pages before opening a particular page that said, "Detailed analysis of the victims from the Yeongam Gurim serial murder case"

"Y/n, now look at this.... "....all the victims had their hands tied in a double bow knot, broken ankles, and a missing right-hand index finger" okay? Now follow me" He read out the line from the case file and walked to the victim while we followed him from behind. He gestured something to the forensic officer, which made him nod as he turned the victim to a particular position, making my eyes go wide.

"See.... the double bow knot.... the broken ankles... and missing right-hand index finger," He said pointing at each of the pieces of evidence and they matched the pictures in the case file and at that moment... it did seem that... Jeong Min-ho was back. 

[Time skip: Gwangju city hospital]

Jaehyun's POV:

"... Jaehyun sunbae! You were too reckless during the surgery!" A junior intern said making me roll my eyes while I pulled the gloves which were soaked in blood, off my hand before throwing them in the dustbin and washing my hands. 

"The patient could have died judging from the way you performed the surgery!"

"Shut up" I whispered while drying my hands

"... and if the directors were to watch this surgery, they would've fired you already-" He stopped saying whatever he was going to say when I looked at him with my tongue poking my inner cheek. I walked toward him and cupped his cheeks with my left hand tightly which made him wince in pain. 

"Didn't I tell you to shut up? And what is it to you about the way I perform surgeries?" I said

"When-n you performed-d the surgery-y... you-u were like a-a... psychopath-h," He said with a trembling voice

"Ah I remember something... last time didn't you tell me that I'm your role model? Would I still be your role model... if I was a psychopath?" I said with a scoff before letting go of him and leaving the room. I walked through the corridor and then into my cabin. Removing my lab coat and keeping it on the sofa, I leaned on the sofa and let out a sigh, and closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes, I looked at the picture which I had on my desk. It was a picture of Y/n and Ji-hun and just by looking at the picture, it was enough to make me smile. Just looking at them made me feel at ease.

Just then a knock on the door made me snap back to reality. The door opened revealing a nurse who said,

"Sir, you have a patient. Would you like to take a rest after the surgery or should I send the patient inside?" 

"No need, I've had enough rest. Send the patient in" I said making her nod before she left and closed the door. I stood up from my seat and proceeded to wear my coat when I heard the door open and felt someone enter the cabin but I couldn't see who it was as I wasn't facing the door.

"Have a seat" I said while I wore my coat and my glasses

"Yes, thank you" I heard the person say and it was a male voice. Adjusting my glasses, I turned around and was about to wear the watch which was on the desk but stopped in my tracks when I recognized the person in front of me. My eyes widened causing the watch to drop from my hand which made him look at me. His eyes widened as he slowly stood up from his chair. 

"Jeong-g Yun-oh?" He called out which made me gulp the lump that had formed in my throat. All I ever wished was not to be called by that name ever again. My hands which were trembling a moment ago had stopped doing so once I took a deep breath and sat on the seat in front of him and took his files. 

"Patient name- Lee Taeyong... cause for a visit- left-hand injury" I read out 

"Yun-oh... don't you recognize me?" He said but I ignored him and took a pen from the pen stand and proceeded to write a prescription for him 

"Mr. Lee, have a seat"

"No-o... I should leave-e" He said 

"So that you can go to the police station?" I said looking at him and standing up from my seat. It took me a while to analyze the expression on his face until I found that the scared expression that he had a moment ago had now changed into a raging one. Before I knew it, I was lying on the floor because of the punch he threw at my face. He grabbed my collar and said,

"You bastard... how can you be so unaffected after killing so many people in the village? You really are a psychopath like your dad aren't you?" He said and was about to punch me again but I dodged it and pushed him causing him to stumble. Taking that chance, I twisted his left hand remembering the fact that he had an injury on his left hand, which made him yelp in pain and grabbed the pain from the desk, and pointed it at his neck. Clicking my tongue in annoyance I said,

"I'm so tired of trying to prove things that I am not.... so from this moment onwards, I'll be the person that you and everyone at that damned village think I am"

End of POV