Chapter 14- The suspect

[Flashback: 10 years ago; Funeral]

Jaehyun's POV:

"My my god can be cruel sometimes, right? She never knew who her father was and all she had was her mother... and now she passed away too" I heard a group of elderly women speak while I was serving the alcohol and Yukgaejang to the guests. They looked at Y/n, who sat by her mother's portrait and stared at it, with pitiful gazes. 
I tried to understand her expression but it was difficult. They said that people tend to cry when they lose someone close to them but... why? Why is she not crying? 

"She deserved it" I heard a whisper say. Turning around, I saw a group of girls in one corner of the room, gossiping among themselves. I assumed they were Y/n's friends. 

"She did! She never knew who her father was and now her mother passed away too! Is she an orphan now?" One of the girls said and they started giggling. At that moment, the only thing that echoed through my mind was, "Kill them... Kill them all" 
I gripped tightly onto the food tray that I was holding and walked to their table while they continued talking 

"Also, did you see the guy who was serving the dishes? He was just my style!"

"I know right? How did a girl like Y/n even manage to get a guy like him-" Before they could speak any further, I kept the tray of food on their table that created a loud noise making everyone and the girls flinch.

"I thought you might need some yukgaejang," I said looking at the girl who spoke badly about Y/n earlier. She nodded hesitantly and served her the yukgaejang. After serving, I looked at her and the other girls with empty eyes that had no emotions in them.... and they looked scared... they looked scared of me. Seeing them being scared of me, made my nerves calm down and I felt relaxed as if I liked seeing them scared because of me.

"I think your parents didn't teach you when to say what... you should watch your mouth in certain places... you never know when the thing that happened to Y/n's mother may happen to you?"

It was almost midnight and all the guests had left except for me and Y/n. I let out a sigh of relief and loosened my tie when my eyes went on Y/n, who still sat in the same place while looking at her mother's portrait. She wore a black hanbok and had a white flower pinned to the left side of her chest; she sat while hugging her knees.
I walked to her and kneeled in front of her. She looked at me when she felt someone's presence in front of her. When she saw me, a drop of tear rolled down her eye and my eyes slightly widened when I realized why she wasn't crying all this time after her mother passed away. 
Because she didn't want anyone to see her at her weakest point but me. She didn't cry in front of the others because she was afraid of being judged but she knew... that I would never judge her. 

She buried her face in her hands and started crying while drops of tears fell on the floor. I didn't know what to do, so I just hugged her. She wrapped her arms around me as if she was afraid to let go and buried her face in the crook of my neck while I gently caressed her hair. 

"It's okay... god can be cruel sometimes" because he let me become a cruel person like him

End of POV

End of Flashback

[Present day: Gyeongju Police station]

Parking my car in the garage, I rushed out of the car, and after climbing a few stairs, I stood in front of team 2's room. From the glass window, I saw my team members, the chief, and a lady in her 50s. I twisted open the doorknob and walked into the room. Everyone looked at me for a brief of seconds before turning around except for the old lady... who kept starring at me as if she wanted me to listen to her story

"I'm glad you came soon... Mrs. Im here has been insisting for you to be here because she believes that this will help you the most" The chief said making me nod. Judging from her expression, I could say that she looked scared of something... or rather someone. She took a deep breath and looked at me as if she mustered a lot of courage before coming here. 

"Mrs. Im... what is it that you wanted to tell me?" I asked during which I happened to notice certain marks on her wrist. Having worked in the crime department like forever, I could easily identify certain marks and the marks on her wrist were marks that one would get after being hit by something like a leather belt. 

"I suspect my husband... it happened about 2 months ago when all of a sudden my husband started coming home late... He'd spend his day off's locked in his room and he warned me to not go inside his room... I thought he was having an affair so one night I decided to follow him... I saw him not dressed in his usual uniform...he covered his entire face with a hat and mask.... and he was following a girl and he started to force her and ask her something" She said and by the time she finished her sentence, team leader cha, Jaemin, Minjun sunbae and I looked at each other because we had heard this story previously

"When I saw the victim of the first murder on the tv... I recognized her to be the girl whom my husband was following... I wanted to prove myself wrong so I decided to go inside his room... but-t when I went-t in... there-e were the photo-o of the girl-l's dead-d body on in his room's wall-l... and I saw-w the-e... an index-x finger-r" She said and by the time she finished, she was trembling

"My husband found me in his room-m... and he started hitting-g me and kept-t me shut-t in the house.... he kept-t asking everyone-e that how was-s... doctor Jeong Jaehyun-n when he performed-d his surgery-y or how-w was he by nature-e" 

"Doctor Jeong Jaehyun?" I asked again because I didn't want our assumption of Jaehyun being the prime target to be true

"Yes-s... he searches-s about articles-s related to him all day-y... He hasn't been home since-e last night-t and I couldn't-t just watch people getting-g killer... so I decided-d to visit the police-e and ask for help-p" 

"But Mrs. Im... what is your husband's name and what does he do?" Minjun sunbae questioned

"He is a police officer... Im Hyun-Chul" 

"Im Hyun-Chul? As in officer, I'm Hyun-Chul who was here yesterday as a witness?!" 

[Meanwhile: Gyeongju City hospital; Neurological ward]

Jaehyun's POV:

"Doctor, you have a patient," The nurse said knocking on the door of my cabin

"Send the patient inside" I said before I went back to looking through the files of my surgeries when I heard the door of my cabin open. But something didn't feel right which is why I lifted my head and saw a man in his late 50s standing in front of me but that wasn't what scared me. The fact that he had the same emptiness in his eyes as I did years ago and his smile that reminded me of my dad scared me.

"I finally found you... Jeong Yun-Oh"

End of POV