Chapter 10- Yeongam Gurim

"But... Jaehyun... why are you looking into Jang Soo-hee's files?" I questioned and I could feel his arms around me slightly loosen but then again, he pulled me closer and hugged me, better than the previous one. 

"You said that she was a patient of mine right? So, I asked a... friend of mine to get her medical files and surgery reports in case it helps with the investigation" He said with a smile but was it just that much? People can joke about valuing their life but... why... why did you sound as if the life doesn't matter to you?

[Meanwhile: Police station]

Author's POV:

"Did you check on the details I asked you to?" Minjun questioned Jaemin who stood there with two sheets of paper in his hands which he held tightly as if he didn't wish others to know what was written in them

"Yes... and you were right. The second victim who was found at the old theatre was identified, his name is Han Joon-woo and he had neurosurgery... and it was performed by... Y/n sunbae's husband... Jeong Jaehyun" Jaemin readout 

"And what about the old lady whose body was found at the swan lake?" Team leader Cha asked

"She is yet to be identified but here's the thing... she never had neurosurgery" 

"Y/n was right... either one of them was never the target of the killer. And now it seems like... the old lady was never a target... he killed her because of some other reason" Minjun sunbae said

"Also, Jaemin... don't let Y/n find out about the neurosurgery topic. It may be a coincidence and we don't want Y/n to doubt... someone she is the closest to"

End of POV

Jaehyun left for the hospital once he had handed me over the lunch that he had made. With the bag of lunch in my mind, I walked into the office. The atmosphere in the room was quite tense. 

"Did you find anything new?" I asked while taking a seat

"The bodies have gone for an autopsy so we'll have to wait. Also, your theory about one of them not being the victim may be true so we are looking into it" Minjun sunbae said making me nod. I leaned back on my chair and closed my eyes. I needed some time to think about what exactly was going on. The murders were the same compared to Jeong Min-ho's murder, when seen externally but when studied in detail, the murders were different. It was as if someone tried their best to copy the murders with the amount of information that he had. 
Everything is revolving around Jeong Min-ho but back then the police couldn't figure out how he chose his victims apart from the part where the victims were his patients. Trying to figure out the pattern of a killer who is dead is going to be tough but maybe we can get something from his...

My eyes shot open as I leaned ahead and searched through my desk. Among the other files, I found the ten years old file which said, "The Yeongam Gurim Serial Murder Case"

"His house," I said drawing everyone's attention. They looked at me wondering what I was trying to say. I stood up from my seat and walked to the board where the pictures and everything related to the case were attached and written. Picking up the marker from the table nearby, I marked certain points on the board.

"Y/n, what are you trying to say?" Team leader Cha questioned

"If this killer is copying the murders of Jeong Min-ho... then shouldn't we know more about Jeong Min-ho before we go after this killer?" I said circling the name "Jeong Min-ho" on the board. 

"The reason we don't know anything about this killer... is because we don't know anything about Jeong Min-ho" 

"But what about the phone calls? Jeong Min-ho's victims never called" Minjun sunbae said