Chapter 7- Perfect lies

[Flashback: 9 years ago]

Jaehyun's POV

"Why are you smiling?" I asked as I watched her reach her hand out and a snowflake fell on her hand. The corner of her lips rose upwards... she was smiling... but why? Why was she smiling just because of a snowflake? We stood under a shed and I looked outside but couldn't find a reason for her to smile. I looked at her waiting for an answer. She turned towards me... she was still smiling. Her eyes weren't empty like mine... she had an emotion in them that I couldn't read.

"Because it's the first snow of the year... and I get to see it with you" She replied 

"Why would such a thing make you smile?" 

"Because it's about you," She said and my eyes slightly widened when I finally understood that emotion in her eyes... it was love.... she loves me.

"You cannot love anyone... because... you are a monster... just like me" The voice echoed in my mind as I stumbled a few steps noticing that, she tried to help me by grabbing my arm but I yanked her away which took her by surprise.

"Oppa... are you okay? What's-" I cut her off by saying,

"Stay away from me..." Before she could say anything, I left without looking back. Even though I didn't turn back, I knew she'd be crying right now... but we can't be together... I don't want to hurt her. Also, I can't tell her that... I keep seeing my father... who is dead. 

End of POV

End of Flashback

[Present time: Gyeongju Police station]

"The surgery was done by Y/n's husband... Jeong Jaehyun" There was nothing but silence in the room. Team leader Cha along with Jaemin and Minjun sunbae looked at me with a worried look. 

"It's probably-y a coincidence-e... right-t?" I managed to say 

"Right-t... it's must-t be just a coincidence-e" Jaemin said but I could tell that none of them were convinced by this and not to lie... I wasn't either... but the last thing I would do was doubt my husband.

"Ahem... we'll look into that later... for now, let's analyze the case briefly and I'll visit officer Hwang as soon as it is the morning... I'm sure we'll get some answers and hopefully... clear some doubts" Team leader Cha said the last three words while looking at me. Everyone nodded at his statement and returned to their desks. Even though anyone did not say anything, one thing was for sure... Jaehyun's name was already on the witness and... suspect list for everyone else.

[Time skip: 7:30 am; Home]

Entering the passcode, I opened the door and entered the room trying not to wake up anyone. I took a peek into Ji-hun's room and there she lay fast asleep. I kept my bag on the sofa and walked towards the bedroom. Twisting the thdoorknobob, I entered the room and saw Jaehyun fast asleep. He looked beautiful like always but the warm rays of sun on his face made it even better. 

"Y/n?" He said in a sleepy voice the moment I entered the room which took me by surprise

"How did you know? I didn't even make any noise" I said as I sat on the bed next to him

"I always know... because it's you" he replied, putting his head on my lap and hugging my waist while I ran my fingers through his hair, gently caressing them. I smiled which disappeared when I remembered what happened at the police station.

"Jaehyun.... do you know about the recent murder?" I hesitantly asked

"The one which says that Jeong Min-ho is back? I do... but isn't he dead?" He spoke softly

"We are not sure about that yet but.... do you know who is the victim?" I asked and he looked at me and smiled before saying,

"No... I saw the news about it but I don't remember who the victim was" 

"Her name is Jang Soo-hee," I said

"Is that so?" He said as he got off the bed and headed to the wardrobe to get a new shirt

"She was your patient... you even did her surgery... a blood clot removal surgery about 3 months ago"

"I do more than 20 surgeries each month, there's no possible way I can remember her. But if you want... I can get the list of patients on whom I have performed surgery in the last few months.... even though it's prohibited to-" I cut him off by hugging him from behind which took him by surprise but he did not question and instead he let me hug him. It was as if he knew that something was troubling but he wanted me to take my time and open up to him when I was ready. 

"I'm sorry... for doubting you," I thought but I couldn't say it but I just hugged him tighter 

[Time skip: 10:30 am]

Jaehyun's POV:

Dropping Ji-hun off at the kindergarten, I returned home. Y/n left for work about an hour ago. I entered the passcode and upon closing the door behind me, I stumbled before I fell. I clutched onto my t-shirt tightly and breathed heavily. 

"She doesn't trust you... who would trust a monster like you... you are a monster! Just like me! You are a monster! A monster!"  The voice echoed through my mind as I covered my ears

"No... no... stop... I'm not like you! I'm not a monster like you!" I yelled and opened my eyes. There was nothing but silence in the room. I stood up from my place and walked to one of the shelves and took a photo frame that had a picture of Y/n and me.

"How dare you... how dare you not trust me!" I yelled throwing the photo frame on the ground. The glass shattered into pieces making me flinch. Tears rolled down my eyes as I stumbled and fell on the sofa. With my hands closed in a fist, I stood up from where I was seated and went to the basement. Shifting the old cupboard, I opened the small door with the key and went inside. 

Taeyong got alerted when he heard my footsteps. I straight away went to the desk and upon picking up the scalpel, I held it on his neck and I could see tears roll down his eyes. I removed the tape which was covering his mouth before saying,

"I'll let you go-o on one thing-g... go and find out-t everything you know-w about Jang Soo-hee.... and if you try to-o run away... or go to the-e police... I'll kill you-u!"

"You.... crazy... psychopath," he said while choking on his tears

"You are right... I really feel like a crazy psychopath right now" 

End of POV