Chapter 19: Tap on The Window

Hello! Welcome back to another chapter. I feel like I'm actually getting updates on these stories out semi regularly again. Hahhhh... We'll see how long that lasts. Anyways the trigger warnings for this chapter include anxiety, toxic parents, themes of deceit and depression, slight mentions of cyber stalking, and forcefully accepting blame. 

~~~~

"You sure you don't want to come out, Bud?"

"I'm fine. Just leave me alone," Virgil shouted back, before burying his face in his pillows.

"You skipped breakfast and lunch. I'm a bit worried," his father reasoned.

"I'm not hungry. I want to throw up. Please go away," Virgil pleaded desperately.

He didn't want to face his family again. He didn't want more arguments and to have to feel even more betrayed by how little his mother trusted him to take care of himself.

He wasn't lying to his father either. He didn't feel hungry to be honest he didn't feel much of anything. He felt empty, nauseous, tired, but he couldn't bring himself to conceptualize any other emotion he could possibly be feeling. Everything going on was a series of numb facts his brain stalled on whenever he tried to process them and create a course of action for the future. He didn't know what the next right move was. He'd managed to procure his bag containing his phone and computer during the night when his parents were able to get the sleep that he could only manage short bursts of. He'd been quick to shut his mobile device off the second he heard the first notification. The smothering burst of adrenaline that came from hearing the familiar ringtone of his roommate wasn't pleasant. The outside world, everyone that was part of it, he couldn't control it. He couldn't control anything but what was in his room. Everything else was too big and complicated for someone like him.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Virgil perked at the sound of a tapping noise from the wall behind him. It was the sound of something soft but sturdy against unsupported thick glass. He sat up leaning his head more towards his window in an attempt to hear it again when the knocking and rattling came a bit more urgently, seemingly in reaction to his acknowledgement, although still trying to remain quiet. Virgil's brow furrowed with confusion as he slipped to the end of his bed facing the window and trying to process what could be making that sound. He hadn't felt or heard any wind strong enough to shake the house and he already knew from the warmth of the light coming into his room there were no plants outside his window capable of making that sound. He supposed it could be an animal but they shouldn't be able to rattle the window that loudly.

Virgil flinched away at the thought of a burglar but tried to reason with himself. There weren't many robbers who were stupid enough to break in during broad daylight not to mention Virgil wasn't baring any indicators of his blindness, as far as they would know there was a young man sitting on his bed staring straight at them. Then again perhaps they knew him and had the intention of harming him or simply believed he wouldn't do anything about it.

"Come on, V! Please open the window already!" A muffled voice complained from outside.

Virgil sprang to his feet at the familiar voice, racing and partially stumbling towards the window to fumble with the locks and pull it open.

"Remy? What the hell are you doing here?" Virgil gaped in surprise.

"Obviously just Remy. Not like your house is lifted and he's using a human footstool," another voice groaned from where they were further below the window ledge.

"Janus?!"

"Thanks again bae, you're the best," Remy beamed before leaning forward to wrap his arms over Virgil's shoulders in an awkward hug through the window frame. "We missed you Virge. You had everyone worried sick."