18. Break First

Davyn wasn't sure why, but his interaction with Millie in the library was followed by another night of mostly restful sleep. It was already the second time that being around her, kissing her, improved his chances of getting some damn rest.

As weird as it was, he looked forward to seeing her again. The thought of her gave him a silver lining he hadn't had before. Even as he munched on a piece of toast at the breakfast table, he could ignore the bleak atmosphere for once.

"I swear to God that if you don't behave, I'll start coming to school and figure out just where you're getting your drugs," Freider said to Ron over the kitchen table.

He looked harassed and exhausted, as if working from home for one day had unsettled him. Ron didn't answer, just stabbed his waffle with his fork, swinging his feet under the table. His clothes looked baggier than usual, which in turn made him seem even smaller.

In normal circumstances, Davyn would've probably had something of his own to say, but right now, he'd rather keep his good mood. There was just one thing he wanted to make sure of.

"Are you sure you're alright?" he asked. "Not feeling sick or weak?"

"I'm fine," Ron grumbled. "Can't wait to get out of this damn house, though."

"Then why don't you go off and live on your own, dumbass?"

"Freider," Davyn said, putting the right amount of warning in his voice.

"Seriously now? Why don't you get out of the house as well?" Freider snapped, turning to him.

Davyn raised his eyebrows. "Oh, so you're back to normal now?"

Freider didn't make a smartass remark. Instead, he looked a little confused. Then, he let out a long breath and massaged his forehead.

"Go get your crap," he said to Ron.

He obeyed, abandoning his half-eaten food and stomping up the stairs. The moment his door slammed shut, Freider turned to Davyn, a frown on his face.

"I'm only going to say this once. I don't like this. It feels like hell."

"Which part exactly?" So much had gone to shit lately, he really needed to be more specific.

Freider gritted his teeth. "Looking after Ron. I don't have kids of my own because I don't feel ready to take care of them."

"You don't have kids of your own because you don't have a wife or girlfriend, Freider."

"I don't want to have a wife! I don't want to have responsibilities! I just want to work. I'm at the point in my life where I'm building my career. And Ron is a handful. I never thought I'd say this, but you're easy!"

"I'm also not your responsibility," Davyn pointed out.

"Precisely. If you end up dead in a ditch, no one is going to ask me a thing about it. And it appears you're actually handling it. Him on the other hand..."

Davyn tried to wrap his head around what he was hearing. Even if couldn't say he liked Freider either, they were still brothers, it would hurt if he died. Maybe.

"He's your brother, you insensitive asshole. I'm your brother, too."

Freider huffed and it made Davyn want to punch him in the face. "Look, I'm not saying I don't care."

"That's exactly what you're saying."

"It's easy for you to say! You don't have to look after anyone but yourself."

"So what? You actually got to grow up without a care! Can't you let me have this?"

The sound of a crash had them both jumping and turning towards the door. Ron was in the doorway and had just dropped his schoolbag on the floor. The snarl on his face eliminated and chance of him not having heard them yelling at each other.