21. Overdose

Davyn wasn't sure exactly what he'd expected to happen after his dinner with Millie, but at least he felt better. It was much easier to ignore Freider, his mother and the uncertainty of his fate when he was busy teasing someone.

She fortunately didn't change or try to initiate conversations about future dinners and holding hands, so it appeared as if his birthday had been a success. As the days became warmer, he enjoyed seeing the bulky sweaters making way for t-shirts or shirts, and the overalls disappearing on the days she wasn't painting. A part of him was curious whether she'd made progress on the painting of him, but he didn't dare ask or check the art room for himself.

It was good the way it was. Light, breezy, filled with teasing, laughter and kisses.

"Honestly, Davyn," she said on one sunny afternoon at the beginning of May. "I don't know why I stand you."

They'd moved their studying from the library to the bleachers, where he mostly found new ways to scare her or interrupt her.

"Because there's something inside me that's very likable and you're seeing it despite my harsh exterior," he said, taking her notebook and staring into it. "What's this supposed to be?"

"I'm not very good at chemistry," she said, making a swipe for the notebook.

"Not very good? This is abysmal." He grabbed her pen as well and corrected her reaction into something that made sense.

"Stop that! My professor will get suspicious if I suddenly start acing this thing."

He huffed, but let her take her notebook back. "That would imply you actually succeeding at tests. Though I'm sure you'd catch this if you showed a little more interest in it."

"That's the thing. I have zero interest in it," she mumbled, continuing on the next reaction. He couldn't help but notice that she'd kept his corrections.

"Disappointing."

"I don't have to like the things you like."

True, and it was what made her interesting. That and the way she seemed to let him go just a tiny bit further with every make-out session. He liked that, watching her threshold moving so naturally.

"Have you gotten your letter from college?"

Her voice was light and she didn't even raise her eyes from what she was doing, as if the subject was more than natural. It sent a bucket of ice into his stomach.

"Diana and Karen have. But Diana is really smart and no one wants Karen. No surprise there." She froze once she glanced at him and took note of his expression. "Did I say something wrong?"

Yes, she'd effectively killed his mood, but she didn't know why. He clenched his teeth together, trying to push back the swirling memories of his father's promises. Since his death, all he'd managed was to think about it less. Cope. Not figure himself or his future out.

"I'm not going to college."

Millie's mouth dropped open. "What? Why? You're so smart."

He shrugged. It didn't matter. "I didn't even apply."

"Davyn..." She closed her notebook and fixed him with a serious gaze. "You can't put your life on hold."

Watch me!

What life?

On hold from what exactly? My bright, phenomenal future?

But he didn't say any of that. "Look, not everyone has to go to college."

"I know. But you're not part of the everyone who doesn't. I mean you know so many things, it's obvious you would excel at whatever you put your mind to, and right now, the world needs people like you. Passionate and dedicated..."