Chapter 22

"What the hell happened to you?! Everyone has been looking for you for hours, Katherine!" Alex yells as she pulls me into a hug. I finally found the strength to drive back to the apartment. I just needed time to think.

"I know, I just needed time to think." I mumble and wiggle myself from her arms.

She frowns at me. "Time to think?! You never need time to think."

"Don's awake." I say. It just slips out of my mouth.

Alex looks taken aback. "How did you know that? "

"I was there." I walk over to the kitchen and pull out all the ingredients for a sub sandwich. I haven't eaten all day, and my baby isn't happy about it.

"He was asking for you." She says, sitting on the bar stool across from where I'm standing.

I freeze. "Why?"

I feel Alex's stare on me and get back to putting turkey on the bread.

"You know why." She says.

I don't meet her gaze. It is only a matter of seconds before she asks what he said to me and why I ran. It will only be a few seconds after she asks that, that I will spill everything that happened. Tears will most likely follow that, but I don't feel like I can cry anymore.

"Do you-"

The front door bursts open and Alpha storms in followed by Scott. Alpha looks around and once he spots me, he walks over and envelopes me in a hug. I just stand there awkwardly and he notices.

"What happened." He asks in confusion. His face etches with worry, almost the same expression he had when we arrived on the territory.

"Might as well take a seat." I motion to the bar stools. "Its a long story." So, I explain everything to them. It all tumbles right out of my mouth. I would have liked for Scott not to be here because now he has one more reason to pity me and think I need a man. I do however leave out the whole wanting Gage to come back thing since they all have assumed that I'm over him.

But I'm not.

I've built up walls, yes, but there is still a void space in my heart that can never be ignored.

Alex is the first one to speak. "Oh my gosh this is like a Criminal Minds episode except in more detail! and it would take a lot more than one episode to cover everything."

Everyone stares at her blankly.

"Alex?" Scott asks.

"Hm?"

"Shut up."

She growls at him and turns away.

Alpha gives them a disapproving look before turning to me. He reaches his hand to rest on mine.

"We can find them you know." He says. "Don is right, you are just like them."

I look at him in confusion. "Wait, you know them?"

Am I the only one who doesn't?

He nods. "Declan was supposed to be the alpha of the pack he was in. My father and his were close. "

"He was an alpha?" I ask shocked. So, my father is an alpha, well, was an alpha.

"Declan's brother, Adonis, was two years younger than him. Declan got really sick right before his 18th birthday and wasn't able to be inducted as alpha. Adonis took over, saying that he would only temporarily be the alpha for him, he said it was out of kindness. It wasn't. Declan healed and when he was ready to take his place as alpha, Adonis put up a fight. he threated to kill anyone who wanted to get rid of him. He went through with his threat and killed almost a fourth of the pack. By that time, no one would go near him for anything. They all feared him. Then Declan found Carrie and you know the rest."