Chapter 12

Rye gave his commanding whistle and they were off. Instead of the usual riding formation, Rye rode closely behind Anna and Ash. Anna gave a small sigh in annoyance and she turned around and glared at him. She thought he was too controlling and stifling.

"What is your horse's name?" Anna asked Ashuek. She was already feeling more at ease in his presence.

"Hmm. I suppose he doesn't have a name, but I do call him My Loyal Friend quite often."

"I like that."

The two rode in companionable silence and Anna allowed her power to soak in Ash's emotions and aura. He made her feel lighter.

"Anna? Why are you so angry with Rye?" Ash asked hesitantly.

"He told me he would kill anyone who sees my face, no matter if they are innocent or not. And he wants me to have his babies. Apparently my daughters will also be mages and my sons like him. He wants powerful children. He can eat rocks,"she told him huffily. Rehashing the argument made her angry all over again.

Ash seemed to digest the information she had given him and meditated on it. "You do not believe he is honorable?"

"No," Anna responded immediately. Ash felt a wave of defensiveness and then calm.

"Rye will not kill without a good reason. He is good and just among our people. He protects what he cares about to be sure. You are...you are worthy enough for him to do anything to protect."

"I'm a glorified broodmare," Anna corrected.

"Do you not want children?"

"I don't know. Yes? One day when I feel ready. I don't want his children and I certainly don't want to raise them in this place."

"Rye will be a good father and protector to his children. What are you so worried about?"

"Children are easy to manipulate and he will use them. This place also treats women like possessions. Where I'm from women have careers and choices just like men do."

"I am biased, I suppose. I believe in Rye as a ruler and as a man. He would use your abilities and his children's abilities if that is what he sees is best. If it is for the betterment of the Northlands he will do it. He would also do anything for the betterment of his family. Those two things do not have to be in combat, especially if you choose to be forthcoming and open." He paused for a moment, "Our women are treasured here. They are not mere possessions. You will see." He believed what he was saying, Anna could tell that much.

"Do you have a woman?"

He reached and showed her his chain. "No, I am not ready to claim one yet. I travel too much. One day soon, I think. Thad is joined and has three children. He also helped raise Rye. Kalo has claimed a woman but has not yet joined her. I believe he is waiting to join her on his return." Anna thought Ash probably had a lot of women vying for him. He was so good-looking and charming.

"How about I tell you some stories about Rye? Maybe I can get you to warm to him a bit?" Ash asked good humoredly.

"Fine. Tell me some good ones, but I know for a fact there are probably just as many ugly stories as good.'

"As we all have," Ash agreed. Ashuek began to tell her stories about how Rye creatively handled disagreements among tenants and landowners. He told her of how he protected villages from marauders and gave swift punishments that he himself always carried out. He had never been challenged over his position because there was no man who could beat him. He started up trade with two of the other realms, causing the Northlands to flourish. After a while Anna could admit she was a little impressed by Rye.