Tailgate

Heartbreak was a real motivator when it came to hatred. 

I was officially in a war with UCM basketball captain Kalen Rush—and he had no idea who I was. 

It didn't take long to find the asshole who I'd slapped just hours earlier by combing through Colby's photos online and following the trail from there. 

According to his social media, Kalen Rush was a twenty-one year old basketball prodigy and came from an affluent family—and his last name was annoyingly familiar.  

Maybe my dad had complained about them in his shop before...

Regardless of his last name, however, his social media presence was squeaky clean, and it looked like he was vying for 'most popular college basketball player' award with how many followers he had. 

Prick.

"Who are you stalking on your phone over there?"

Hiding my phone from view, Francesca "Franny" Hart peered over my shoulder while I tried to hide the evidence of what I was actually doing from my best friend. 

"No one!  I'm just...searching up our professors on social media, to see how they might act in class."

Franny scrunched up her button nose and wrinkled her blue eyes in amusement, tossing her midnight dyed black hair over her shoulder while eyeing me with a teasing remark just dancing on the tip of her tongue. 

"Nerd.  College isn't going to change you a bit, apparently."

"Apparently," I somehow squeaked out of my throat that was tightening with the strength to hold back where I'd gone before orientation and who exactly I'd seen there. 

Franny balled up a few pairs of her underwear and stuffed it into the top drawer of her new dresser in our shared dorm room that we'd requested the moment we found out we'd both been accepted to UCM, early decision.

"Colby's going to a party tonight and he invited us.  He said it's mostly going to be upperclassmen there though, so we probably won't see any of the people we met at orientation today."

"I don't know, Fran..."

"No!  Come on, this isn't back home anymore.  You don't have to deal with worrying your dad by being out late.  You don't have homework due yet, and you're not breaking any rules.  Please, just this once, can you let go and do something fun?  Just once?"

The high pitched ringtone of my phone interrupted what I'd just been about to tell Franny, but glancing at the unknown number displayed on the screen, I quickly silenced the call and tried not to think about the person on the other end of the phone, wherever she may be.