Baselines

Waking up to Gracie's dark curls streaked with auburn and gold in a halo around my arms was a sight that wouldn't have to take time to get used to—not with how much I was already craving to greet me every morning

She was too beautiful to disturb, which was why the sounds of the house waking up in the aftermath of the party thrown the night before was such a shock to the system. 

Calvin hadn't come back to the room, as I'd predicted, and was either passed out on the front lawn wearing nothing but a sock on his unmentionables (which he'd done, more than once), or was passed out in Nate's bed (something that he'd also done more than once).

The day after a game, though—especially a victory—was always followed up by a seven in the morning practice.

Which meant that in approximately ten minutes, Calvin would be busting the door down to our shared room and would grab all his gear in the biggest hurry of his life to try and avoid coach's wrath. 

It meant that I had less than five minutes to look at Gracie's upturned nose and the smattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose. 

Less than five minutes to admire the way the way her perky—

BANG!

"Open up!"

Make that five seconds

Gracie stirred in her sleep against me, but before I could gently lay her back down against my pillows and tell whoever it was at the door to shut the fuck up, Nate was storming into the room with Calvin and none other than Colby fucking Hart trailing in after him. 

"What the fuck is she doing in here?"

"She was sleeping, asshole."

Gracie grabbed the blankets and pulled them up to her chin, pressing her body even further into my own until her head was tucked delicately under my chin, her arms going around my body in response to three guys barging in on us. 

It was clear to me the night before that she wasn't all that experienced—but it wasn't like I was judging seeing as I'd had all of two sexual parters, and she was the second—and the fact that these bastards were interrupting a completely perfect morning-after was seriously starting to piss me off. 

"If you don't live in this dorm, then you can get the fuck out."

"Oh?  And what about her?"

Hart glared at me as Gracie groaned and turned her head fully into my neck, choosing to ignore his bullshit instead of giving him any degree of attention. 

"She's my guest."

"Yeah, well she needs to be in her own dorm, not in her with you laid up like some—"

"I really hope you weren't going to finish that sentence the way I thought you were."

Something in my tone must've made him rethink his next statement, and I wasn't against getting out of bed half-naked and pummeling my fists into his face again just to teach him another lesson.