Center

Colby's new girlfriend was going to be the death of me

Kara was attached to his hip, who in turn was then attached to Franny's hip, who was never away from me for more than a few class lengths of time unless I specifically had plans or had to make it to my internship.

The week following the basketball game was uneventful to say the least, in the way that Kalen and I had opposing schedules, I was constantly inundated with schoolwork while he had to work extra hard to make it up to his coach for the fight that Colby got him into and then ditching the game because of his father confronting me. 

We'd only been able to text and talk on the phone because we hardly got to see each other, but it was making for some creative extracurricular activities when the lights went out and we were finally alone. 

"So, have you and Kalen...you know?"

The sound of Kara's voice ultimately brought me out of going down the rabbit hole of the sound of Kalen's throaty voice husky with sleep in the dead of night. 

It wasn't like he'd been discussing anything inherently inappropriate with me, but even the suggestion from my brain that that could be where the conversation could turn?  One deep lilt in the conversation and I was a goner. 

"I'm really not sure how that's any of your business."

We were currently eating lunch and she had taken a seat next to Franny the second we sat down. 

Franny was distracted on her phone with something and I was a people pleaser who couldn't tell someone to fuck off and that they weren't wanted. 

My life would've been much easier if I had the guts to be able to hurt someone's feelings the way they were so easily able to do to mine. 

I would've been free of Colby and his attitude long ago if I was. 

Lately, though...lately Colby had been toeing that line. 

Case in point—his brand new girlfriend that was bound and determined to become my new best friend...and Franny's as well, but there was an edge to the relationship she was trying to build out of nothing with me. 

An edge that I definitely didn't like, almost as much as I didn't like her. 

"Oh, come on, you can tell me.  He never dates anyone on campus, and you're the first girl he's ever—"

"There you are.  I've been looking all over for you."

Colby pulled up a chair to the table and scraped it noisily against the ground and suddenly I wasn't very hungry anymore. 

"Well, I'm right here."

They then proceeded to engage in gag-inducing tonsil hockey while I gathered up my things.