20: Amaryllis

"There are always flowers for those who want to see them."

-Henri Matisse
⚜️

Morning came sooner than Lydia wanted it to. She raised her elbow and tried, sheepishly, to block out the sun rays against her eyes. But a warm breath blew against her cheek and she had to turn.

"You are awake. Perhaps I did not perform well enough last night."

She smiled and touched Damian's shoulder, "You've done enough, my lord. I could not feel my legs the entire time."

He leaned in for a kiss. She accepted it willingly. They could get used to this.

And a knock sounded on the door.

"Ignore it," Damian said between kisses.

The knocks came again and again. "My lady? You asked me to come to wake you early."

Lydia's head snapped up, "One moment, Vanj." then she looked at Damian, "We have to get you out of here." Her husband looked confused, so she wrapped the sheets around her and pulled him out of bed. "Take your clothes, the rest kick underneath my bed."

Damian took a handful of clothes he had discarded the night prior. "Why are you whispering, Lydia?"

"What?" she asked as she spun around, her hand holding unto a sock. "Oh my god, you are still naked. Cover yourself will you?"

He lowered the clothes to cover his manly parts. "Better?"

"No!" she half-yelled and half-screamed. "At any rate, she'll burst through the door and come upon us. You need to leave and dress back in your room."

She pulled his hand and dragged him towards the connecting door. But found it locked.  She turned to Damian for an answer but Evangeline was making her way in. In her panic, she pushed Damian behind the dressing screen.

"My lady?"

"Vanj, you're here. It is rather early."

Her maid raised a brow. "You specifically asked me to come to fetch you at the crack of dawn." Then pointed at the window. "The sun has just risen."

"Of course, I must've forgotten."

"Are you alright, Lyd?"

"Hmm? Of course, I am."

Evangeline eyed her carefully. "Then why are you wrapped in your sheets?"

"I...well.."

A chuckle escaped Damian. To which Lydia covered up with a cough. "I decided to sleep without my nightgown. And I felt the morning chill...so..."

Her maid's eyes drifted from her to the dressing screen. But she said nothing. "Do you wish to change now?"

"Yes. Grab me my dress."

"At once, duchess. Wait here for a moment." she slipped through the door leading toward her wardrobe and disappeared.

Lydia turned to Damian. "I shall try to finish my morning routine as fast as I can. But you must keep quiet, do you understand?"

Damian grabbed the sheets and pulled her towards him. A soft yelp escaped her. "I do not understand the need to hide, duchess. I am your husband and we spent the night together. Why must I hide here like some gentleman you had a tryst with?"

"Because you are nude!" she hissed. "You will scandalize my maid."

He scoffed. "You are telling me that Miss Pritchard is a virgin? And has never seen a naked man in her life?"