33: Clues and signs

"If I give you a hint and tell you it's a hint, it will be information."

-Diana Wayne Jones

⚜️
The family made their way back to Hinley, each member dispersing to attend to their individual duties. Damian and Dathan secluded themselves in the study for the remainder of the day, with Ivo slipping in shortly after to join them.

True to her word, Lucille confined Julianna to her quarters for a session of "lady talk," ensuring they were undisturbed by granting her governess a day's leave. It was likely to be quite some time before the doors would open and they would reappear.

"Your Grace, the seamstress has arrived, and your trunks are upstairs," Evangeline announced as Lydia descended from the carriage.

"Vanj, there you are. I was starting to wonder why you hadn't joined us to bid farewell to the marchioness and the prince. Is everything alright?"

"Yes, things have never been better," she replied with a smile, taking the Duchess's coat. "I trust the weather was favorable?"

Lydia dismissed the servants with a wave of her hand, insisting that she and her maid could manage on their own. As they ascended the stairs, she maintained a casual tone, "The weather was as fine as we could have hoped. Their journey should be safe and smooth."

The journey across the ocean to Habsburg typically spanned two days, but treacherous weather could extend it to a week. Nevertheless, she was confident in the Prince's fleet, well-prepared as it was for any maritime adversity. By tomorrow, he would be just a distant memory—someone she would likely never see or hear from again.

A servant girl opened the doors to Lydia's room and informed her that the seamstress was being served tea in the kitchen.

"Please send Mrs. Silva up; I am ready for my measurements," Lydia instructed.

"Yes, Your Grace. I shall fetch her for you," the servant replied, and then the door closed behind her.

"Help me undress, Vanj. It's quite warm in here, don't you think?"

Evangeline began unbuttoning Lydia's dress and observed that the room felt unusually warm. "It seems the fire was left burning all night. You stayed in the master bedroom last night, didn't you?"

"Yes, I did. I was tempted to get up at dawn, but the floors were so cold."

"Of course, that makes sense," Evangeline agreed, continuing her task.

"Not at all odd, is it, Vanj?" Lydia queried as she slipped out of her dress.

"Whatever do you mean, Your Grace?" Evangeline responded, carefully taking the dress from her.

Lydia looked at her maid with a direct gaze. "You know exactly what I meant—that I've been spending my nights in Damian's quarters now."

Evangeline's voice was measured, almost deferential. "I am merely your maid, Your Grace. My opinion on such matters shouldn't carry weight."

Lydia shook her head lightly, a gentle smile touching her lips as she took Evangeline's hands in hers. "Don't be silly. You may be my maid, but you were my friend first." Her gaze softened, seeking reassurance. "Do you think the other servants are talking about us?"

Evangeline sighed softly and gave Lydia's hand a reassuring squeeze. "It's not quite what we were accustomed to, and yes, at first it did seem a bit odd. But seeing the two of you together, the way you are around each other, it dispelled any doubts I had. Lyd, it seems your marriage is sailing smoothly now. That's good, isn't it?" Her voice carried a note of genuine warmth, showing her support and happiness for Lydia's newfound harmony.