Chapter 7

I followed Lily as she jumped over the river, luckily my rib was healed so it was no problem for me either. We walked past several houses before she came to a stop, jumping back over the river and into a garden, the garden was full of beautiful flowers, I was astonished, but what caused further confusion was that her house was not much bigger than mine. "Not what you were expecting?" she smirked. "not entirely no", I admitted.

Lily came to my side and nudged me, "What were you expecting then? I want to know what you were thinking" She carried on. I looked around once more, "honestly, I thought there would be no flowers, a very large house just like the ones the aristocrats live in, I certainly did not think you would eat breakfast", I was always honest with her. "ouch, you think so highly of me" she joked and opened the door letting me go in first. I just scoffed at her joke.

I returned the favor and poked around her house, she definitely had more things, like jewellery, books, clothes, and ornaments. "I will be right back", she headed in the direction of her bedroom.

I decided to look at her book collection, there were a lot of books on elvish history but also romantic books about star-crossed lovers, I pulled one out, called Red Rope of Fate which follows the story of Tari and Arion, a human and an elf, as I am looking through it, Lily appears again.

She still looks like she is dressed to fight but it is more casual, she looks like she is wearing something similar to a wood elf's tunic, in green and knee-high boots.

Her hair is pulled back which is probably so she can wear her hood and hide her hair, I guess that is how she goes around unnoticed by others. "That's a good read, you can borrow it if you like", that was kind of her. "Thanks, but I have already read it", I put the book back.

I followed Lily out the door as we headed to the shop to buy some food, she had pulled her hood up just as I had expected she would.

We walked around the shop, I had gone into default mode of buying very little like I normally would, Lily noticed this, and it made her sad that this was the reality for many elves. "Gabi, that is not enough", she went and picked up potatoes, bread, and cheese to add to what I had already picked up, she went to pick up some meat but I stopped her. She looked at me curiously, waiting for me to say something. "I don't eat meat" I finally spoke.

Lily didn't understand, "I can pay for it, it's fine" she offered kindly. "I can pay for it too, but I would still not eat it, I'm vegetarian", Lily thought about it for a second. "I see" she understood now. "Is that common?", she asked, she assumed everybody ate meat, but now she realised most would not be able to afford to eat it. "sometimes, but other elves will go out and hunt", I explained.

I paid for the food and headed back to my house to put it all away, Lily helped me carry it home which was surprising.

The sky was still blue and the sun was at its highest. "Shall we go for a walk?" Lily asked. I nodded my head, "I am just going to get my basket, I normally collect berries on a Sunday" I spoke sheepishly. I grabbed my basket and exited through the backdoor, jumping across the river with ease.

I was nervous to be in the woods so I stayed close to Lily, not straying too far, she led us back to the place where it had happened which was further out than we should have been. "Lily, I don't know about this", I shook my head. "My father has given us permission, I know there were mushrooms that you did not finish picking" she pointed out.

As we neared, I was listening out for any sound of movement or something that could be near us, I was so worried we would be in danger.

This time we walked on a little further than I was before, but there were more mushrooms and flowers, I rushed over to them having a look before cutting them. I only cut a few and then stopped to pick some flowers, Lily stood watching she had been unsure of what to do.