Chapter 17 - Plans

Lydia

I have butterflies.

With a few deep breaths, I get off the bus and take in the Den. Right now, it feels like a shackle. I used to love coming here for games. For the atmosphere.

Now, all it means to me is Wes. And he's standing in the parking lot. Talking to Chloe.

My stomach sinks. Of course, he's talking to his ex. Because he still wants her. He made that very clear when he dumped Trisha for her. Why did I think any of that had changed?

What happened at the party was a mistake. It was alcohol and celebration, and he was just trying to prove a point.

I stop in my tracks. That I'm a slut. Was that the point he was trying to prove? I look at the way Chloe is commanding the conversation. Even from this far away, I can tell she has the power. He looks as if he's about to beg her for something.

I keep walking. I have to get inside. Away from whatever this is.

He begs her and commands me. Because she's the one he wants. She's studying her nails and shrugging one shoulder, and I know he's never commanded her. He's never tried to put her in her place. Because her place is at his side. At least that's what he thinks.

It doesn't matter. I shake off the thoughts and hold on to the strap of my bag. I keep my eyes down, but I know the moment he looks at me. Our eyes meet and he seems to grow an inch.

Chloe puts her hand on his chest and says something. Almost as if she hates that his attention was on me for a heartbeat. He looks back at her and speaks. But he's not begging.

I almost run inside.

"Oh, good, you're here," Ms Tina says and closes her laptop. She picks it up in one hand and I follow her into the back. "There's not much to do today." She puts away the laptop and slips her phone into her purse. "We need to restock the supplies. Playing River is always good for business. Winning is even better. And if you wouldn't mind dusting the shelves. I have a doctor's appointment, so I have to rush off. I trust Wesley is on his way?"

I put my bag away. "He's outside. I'm sure he'll be here any moment."

"Good. Take care now."

She's out the door and I sigh and go out to see what needs to be restocked.

A minute later, Wes stalks into the store. He ignores me as he goes to the back. I look out the windows toward the parking lot. A car is speeding off into the street.

"What do you see in her?" I ask when Wes drops a box of jerseys next to me. "It's not like she even respects you."

"What the fuck are you talking about? Of course she respects me."

I don't answer.

"She wants me to take the dog again," he says and breaks a hanger as he tries to hang a jersey.

"Are you going to?"

He stares at the broken hanger. "I don't know. I mean, I love Max, but I have an away-game this weekend. We're staying the night."

"So tell her no."

He picks up another hanger and clumsily gets a jersey on it. Then he clears his throat. "I'm worried she'll just leave the dog."

"What, like alone?"

"Yeah."

"For the weekend?" I gape at him.

He shrugs.

"Why on earth would you even get a dog with her in the first place?"

He looks almost sheepish. "She really wanted one, and I thought it would be good for... for the relationship."