12 | the dark side

I've noticed more eyes on me this week. Basically since Matt drove me to work, and slowly increasing when we had lunch, when we'd walk to classes together. The small things. But that piggyback ride he gave me in gym has soared those glances into full blown, scrutinizing stares.

It's like I can see them thinking: Lia and Matt? When did that happen? Why her? We hadn't even left the track when Simone and Kristy were locked in hushed whispers and giving me the side-eye.

Rachel says they're only sour because they'd kill to be the ones riding Matt. In both ways. Sometimes her lack of a filter makes me wish I could suck my head into my body like a tortoise in their shell.

The one person who truly stood out among the rest was Lacey Scott. Lacey and Matt were the 'It' couple in freshman year. The ones everyone swooned over at how cute they were. Except me, of course. I used to get so jealous at the sight of them that I'd get stomachaches.

The look she gave me after gym was tough to figure out. Surprised, curious, resentful. I couldn't read her perfectly symmetrical face. All I know is that being on the other side, the side where she might be the jealous one, it gave me some petty satisfaction.

Being the girl who was lucky enough to be chosen by Matt Benson - no one is more surprised than me. Despite the judging and whispers, I still can't help relishing in it a little.

〰️〰️〰️

"What about this one?"

"Sure. If I'm channeling my grandma."

I hold my tongue and put the peter pan collar dress back on the rack. It's pink. That's usually enough for Rachel. But she's determined to get the outfit of all outfits for her party, which is why we've been in this freaking mall for three hours without a single pinch of success.

She's loaded up on a heap of other clothes to stock her overflowing closet, but none of them are worthy enough. I collapse onto a plushy cream couch to rub my aching feet. I feel like one of those fashion-hopeless men who come along with their girlfriends and become comatose while they wait out the spree.

"Ooh! Yes, yes, yes!" She holds up a short satin dress in rose. "This speaks to me."

"Is it telling you to go and pay for it before your friend dies of starvation?"

"How many times—? We'll eat after! I couldn't be trying stuff on with a food baby!" She huffs, draping the dress over her arm. "And while I try this on—"

She rushes off mid-sentence, clicking across the shiny floor of the store and grabbing something off of another rack before she comes back.

"You're going to try this on." Rachel holds out a lacy black bra. My mouth opens and closes. "Don't say you don't want to. You've been eyeing this baby since we came in here."

I stand up. "No I haven't."

She cocks her head with a knowing smile, still holding it out.

"Fine. I have. But I don't need a new bra."

"Um, yeah you do. You've gotta be up a couple cup sizes by now, right? So, upgrade time." She nudges it against my chest, but I push it away.

"Maybe for a normal one, but that's like, lingerie. I don't need it."

"Lia, do I really have to spell this out?"

Even in this spacious upscale store with unlimited AC, my face can't keep its temperature at normal levels.

Rachel sighs. "I'm not saying it's going to be at the party or on your date, but eventually the time will come when Matt gets under those clothes, and do you really want your scruffy old bra to be the first thing he sees?"