31 | lucky charm

I don't get the rules of football, but that doesn't mean I've never been to games before. In fact, it's kind of embarrassing how little I know about the actual games considering how many I've been to - but I swear I have a good reason. Two good reasons.

One: I obviously support Rachel and her cheerleading. Cheering on the cheerleader from the sidelines. And two: I've been (quietly) supporting Matt for years. Admittedly watching him and not so much of the games.

But now, supporting him when he actually knows I'm here in the stands, it's a different sense of pride I never thought I'd feel until this moment. This feeling of 'that's my boyfriend out there'. Watching him commanding his team, getting all dirty and sweaty and just being the superstar athlete everyone adores. It's a rush.

But when the halftime whistle blows and the team jogs off the field, my rush takes a dip when Lacey Scott bounces up to Matt with her pom-poms and stops him. The green-eyed monster hadn't come out this morning in the parking lot, or in History when she sidled up and offered to share notes with him, but helplessly watching her blatant flirting from my seat is pushing that monster out of its cave.

Three times in one day? She hasn't been this interested in Matt since they dated, and suddenly he's an irresistible chunk of meat reflected in the eyes of a preying tigress. He's smiling but he doesn't stay long, and Lacey skips back to the cheerleaders to start their routine.

Since the first game of the season is more energetic than most, they don't need to go overboard to keep spirits up. But I still shout for Rachel and shoot a video for her, and I know she's going to hate it because Lacey is being lifted over her to the top of the pyramid and Rachel's forcing a smile as always. Inwardly loathing the fact that Lacey will stomp on her shoulder and keep her in place, never letting anyone else take the top spot.

"Lee!"

It takes me a few seconds to hear the calling through the noise, and to register that I'm the one being called. I spot Matt and make my way to the bottom of the bleachers, leaning over the railing to him. The rest of the team haven't come back out yet.

"Hey, shouldn't you be in the middle of your inspirational speech right about now?"

He's holding his helmet, giving it a tap against my knee. "Cut it short so I could see you."

I cock my head. "Tell me how I'm not a distraction again?"

"Distraction? I've never been more in the zone! I think you're my lucky charm."

Such a fib. He'd be in the zone if an earthquake split the field in two, but I'll take the credit of being Matt Benson's lucky charm any day.

"But, I don't know, it sort of feels like the luck's wearing off a little." He lets out an exaggerated sigh, running his hand through his sweaty hair. "I might need a boost to get through this second half."

"What kind of boost?"

The crystals in his eyes are glimmering, and I know exactly what he's hinting at, but I don't know if I have the guts for any sort of PDA with a literal audience. His mere presence is already drawing looks from the crowd, and I'm regretting my choice to wear yellow because it makes me feel as bright as a taxi.

I made a point to incorporate our school colors of navy blue and gold into my outfit for tonight. Blue denim shorts, a loose yellow tee and blue butterfly clips in my hair. But it's Matt, and with him standing below the bleachers on ground level, he looks like a little puppy dog staring up at me and it's making my heart swell. There's no way I can leave him hanging.

I think I can handle giving him a peck on the cheek, but then I catch Lacey eyeing us, and the spontaneous urge to send her a clear message roars through me. Before I can talk myself out of it, I lean down, grab his face, and plant my lips on his. The blood rush to my ears muffles out the world, but I can hear wolf whistles breaking through in a matter of seconds.