Chapter 21

When Fern entered Aegon's chambers in the late morning, he wasn't there

When Fern entered Aegon's chambers in the late morning, he wasn't there. The whole Keep seemed to be silent. She'd thought she'd heard shouting from Queen Alicent's chambers, but she'd decided to think nothing of it.
It was only after a moment that she noticed the gifts he'd left her. Strawberries, her favourite fruit. And a little box. She opened it up, finding a necklace. The pendant was in the shape of a dragon and a fern leaf, intertwined to create a small heart.
She couldn't help but smile.
It was sweet. Beyond sweet, even.
It was like the Aegon she'd known years ago, before crowns and marriages and wars. The boy she'd fallen in love with.
She found a small note on the table, lifting it carefully to read what it said.

My love,

      I am sorry. You know I did not mean what I said in that manner. I cannot do this without you, Fern. You're the only one who has ever had any faith in me.
I am with the small council, I'll explain what happened in Storm's End when I return.
Please. Don't leave me now. I need you.

Aegon

Fern sighed and placed the note back on the table. She ran her fingers through her hair. Her mind was a mess. She did not know what to think or do or believe.
But that old familiar feeling turned in her stomach and made her feel shame like she'd never felt it before.
In these months passed she'd lost sight of who Aegon was to her. And no matter how much she knew these feelings would doom her, she could not shake them.
She loved him.
She had always loved him.
Aemond was... He was wonderful.
But Aegon had been with her through thick and thin.
He was right. He needed her. And she would not turn her back on him now. Not over this. Not over anything.
She sighed again, feeling that once was not enough, and lay back in her chair. She popped a strawberry into her mouth and it was so delicious she had to stop herself from moaning. With a content smile, she sank back.
She did not recall falling asleep, but at some point it must've happened. The next thing she knew, she was waking with familiar arms wrapped around her.
Aegon lay her down on his bed, pulling a blanket over her.
Delicately, thinking she was still asleep, he sat beside her and softly brushed the hair from her face. His fingers danced along her skin gently.
Fern didn't say a word. Simply, without drawing attention to it, she took his hand in her own.
Aegon smiled brightly.
"You're awake."
"I'm awake." She answered.
"You're here."
"I'm here."
Aegon shifted slightly where he sat. He looked like there was more he wanted to say, his big sad eyes peering over at her with absolute hope and fear.
"Come here." Fern whispered softly, beckoning him closer.
Aegon gulped. Then hesitated. Then nodded.
He climbed into bed beside her.
Fern wrapped her arms around him, his back pressed against her chest. She cuddled close, her head in the crook of his neck.
"I'm not going anywhere." She whispered, kissing his cheek.
Aegon held her arms, pulling her closer. "I thought I'd lost you."
"You won't ever lose me. I promise." She kissed him again and again all over his cheek and neck and shoulder. "Thank you for the presents."
"Did you like them?"
She nodded, smiling. "I loved them. I love you."
His breath hitched in his throat. The King closed his eyes, swallowing hard. "I love you too."
"It's us against everyone, Aegon. It always has been. You and me. Together." She whispered, stroking the hair from his face. "I'm not ever going to leave you, do you understand?"
Aegon's breath was shaky. His eyes squeezed tightly closed as he felt that familiar sting of tears within them. He turned to face her, immediately holding her close. His head buried into her chest, his hands clinging to her back.
Fern wrapped her arms around him, a fortress just for him. Her King. Her friend. The man she'd spent most of her life beside.
She thought of all that they'd done together. All that they would do. All that they'd shared.
And then that familiar pang of guilt ran through her.
She was a whore. She'd done what whores do.
But this time it felt wrong. She wasn't sure why. It had felt... It had felt like a true betrayal.
Her mind wandered to Aemond.
She'd caused such a mess. Such an incredible mess. She didn't know if she could ever fix it.
She didn't know if there was any solution.
Aegon lifted his head.
He stared at her for a moment, not understanding that guilty look upon her face.
He bit his lip and took a deep breath.
"Fern, I want to have a child with you."
She felt like the air got knocked out from her and she was smacked right back to reality.
Her eyes widened and she stared down at him.
"What?"