Ch. 2 - (Heart)

Oscar could hear his heart in his ears

Oscar could hear his heart in his ears. His pulse was racing like it hadn't in a long time. Spending your life stealing cars and living in a motorcycle gang, it takes a lot to get you going, but being in the back of a mafia car had undoubtedly done the trick.

So... Oscar wasn't the only one with secrets.

He watched the black tinted windows as the car drove off, with Max inside, leaving him halfway between his apartment and the Bored Dog bar. At that moment, Oscar felt a sudden and inexplicable loneliness settle in him.

It figured he thought to himself. He'd not met anyone he felt that comfortable around in a long time, and Max had quickly become what he considered his best friend. They didn't even have to do anything. Oscar would drive them out of town some nights, and they'd just drink and talk for hours. Admittedly, maybe he'd let his guard down around Max too quickly; he'd considered him a friend before really knowing him, and yeah, that was his fault.

"Fucking Mafia...pft, how did I not see that?" Oscar murmured to himself as he reached his apartment building. The halls always seemed to look slightly green under the old lighting, and the hallways were a minefield of strange smells and sounds coming from each apartment. The elevator was broken again--it had been for about a week--and it would probably stay that way for another few weeks before being fixed for a few days and then breaking again.

Oscar's door was at the end of the third floor, so it was not a nasty climb, but high enough that he wasn't paying for the convenience of a first or second-floor unit. The door opened into a tiny kitchenette with two doors across from the counter and sink. One led to the bathroom(a closet with a tub and toilet), and the other was a pantry/coat closet. Past the entry was the main room, which had an old TV, a bed with no bedframe, and a cheap dresser. His favorite part was his window, which had a shit view, but at least it could open and let in a breeze when the AC broke.

Oscar checked his phone one last time before letting himself free fall into his bed. His weight toppled a stuffed frog to the floor as he left his phone on the window seal. No missed messages. He wasn't sure what he'd expected. Max to call him? Not likely; the Mafia and the Devil's Rejects tolerated each other at best, but they were only friendly enough to keep the peace along their respective borders. If he and Max had just never found out who they were associated with, maybe they could have stayed friends... but not now.

 but not now