Ch. 36 -Sad Pancakes

Max had decided he wanted to just sit and binge some TV or movies when they got back

Max had decided he wanted to just sit and binge some TV or movies when they got back. Mindless shit. Shit that he didn't have to think about, because even though he'd only let the few tears that had caught him off guard escape, he felt like he'd cried the whole drive home. It was awful. Like taking a nap at the wrong part of the day and being dehydrated on top of it. His head was pounding, and he just wanted to chill.

Thankfully, everyone else seemed cool with that too, and Angela even joined them, but when Max had gotten up to grab a few drinks, he got the distinct impression that he wasn't alone in the kitchen. Sure enough, when he closed one of the refrigerator doors, there was Elise, with her arms crossed and a pout on her face.

"Did you want something?"

"To talk," she replied, hopping up to take a seat on the countertop of the large island across from the fridge.

"Okay..."

"How long are we gonna do this?" she asked in a whisper.

Max leaned against the counter next to her.

"We're not having this discussion right now, El."

"Then when are we going to have it, Marc?"

He let out an irritated sigh, sat down the seltzers in his hands, then easily lifted her off of the counter and set her back on her feet. Dipping his head to speak. "When we aren't in the fucking kitchen, for one."

"Then let's go to my room. Or your room, or outside, I don't care where."

"No, Ellie-"

"Marc, this isn't fair. No time is going to be a good time for you, and don't act like you can bullshit me into believing you'll let me know when it is," she hissed, pointing her finger in his face.

She was so adorable...thinking she was being intimidating... Unfortunately though, she was also right about him trying to blow her off. That kind of thing worked when she was still a kid, but she was a grown woman now...and a sharp one at that.

"My office then, tomorrow."

"Oscar's sawing logs on the couch and Angela's on her phone. Why can't we just do it now?"

When Max failed to give a decent enough reason, she insisted, and Max found himself trudging up the stairs, trying to get his brain firing, and instead just getting a whole lot of white noise in return.

Elise took his office chair, and he took one of the armchairs in the corner. But when the sound of him popping open the bottle he'd brought up with him was the only thing occupying the air between them for what felt like several minutes, though it was actually more like seconds, he spoke up. "...Well?"

"You need to tell mom and dad."

Max blinked at her. "Are you out of your fucking mind?"

"Marc, Oz and I can't keep hiding this for you. Where is it gonna end? I already can't date anyone right now, people think I'm with Oscar."