Ch. 3 - Who's She?

The smirk on Oscar's face turned into a wide grin, and then a snicker that burst past his best laid defense of indifference, and drew the attention of both the old geezers sitting across the patio

The smirk on Oscar's face turned into a wide grin, and then a snicker that burst past his best laid defense of indifference, and drew the attention of both the old geezers sitting across the patio. Oscar's smile quickly faded as he issued a curt middle finger and exited the patio.

It was ridiculous how excited a stupid text had made him. It had to be the booze or the weed from earlier—probably both, he assured himself, as he returned to his stool at the bar. He still wasn't sure what to make of all of it... Actually, he knew exactly what he wanted to make of it, but the pessimist in him tried to dash all those thoughts.

"He's just playing with you," he warned himself. "He texted the wrong number."

Right. That was a possibility; a very reasonable and likely one, but then why was his leg bouncing up and down like a bunny on crack? And why was time moving so goddamn slow all of a sudden?

Oscar's phone didn't ring until a quarter to seven.

"Hey, Oz, about last night, I apologize," Max said over the phone. It sounded like there was a lot of talking in the background, but certainly not the usual backdrop of rowdy, horny drunks, or booming trap music. "We're still cool, right?"

"You're asking me?" Oscar blurted out without really thinking. People could say whatever they wanted about the Devil's Rejects, but they didn't make people disappear.

Yeah, there was a shakedown here and there, but for the most part, they were all about intimidation. Their bark was worse than their bite. The same couldn't be said for Max's side.

"Yeah," Max said easily.

"I don't know, are we? And what the fuck was up with the heart thing?" Oscar asked as he paid the barkeep, and exited out onto the street where it was only slightly quieter.

"Of course we are!" Max replied. "Hang on a minute..." There was a muffled noise, like Max had either pressed his phone against his clothes or had at least put a thumb over the receiver for half a minute or so before he came back. "Hey, listen, just give me a place, okay? I'll meet you there."

"Look, Max, I want to, but are you sure that's a good idea? I mean my people and your people...they don't really get along, ya know?" Oscar said as he glanced at the street name on the sign next to him.

Max let out a frustrated sigh. "Are we chillin' tonight or not?" he said into the phone quickly, as if he was talking under his breath. "Cuz I need to get off the phone."

"Well, I mean, of course we're going to hang, I was just asking if it was a good idea," Oscar replied as he continued down the sidewalk. "I'll text you the address."

"Perfect. See you there."