Chapter Four

Three days had passed since Oliver's arrival, and it felt like an eternity. Avoiding Oliver had proven to be a challenging feat, especially considering we were under the same roof. But what made it even more exhausting was avoiding being in the same space as Oliver and Jeremiah simultaneously. Those two had a talent for sparking conflict, and it was as if they could start a world war with their bickering. While my parents found it cute, and Mr. and Mrs. St. James saw it as nothing more than a display of old friends reconnecting, I was the only one who felt a knot of unease in my stomach.

Watching Oliver and Jeremiah exchange playful insults while wearing matching smiles, and I knew the truth behind their banter. It wasn't friendly bickering; it was a silent battle, and I was the only one who understood the stakes.  There was something deeper beneath the surface, something that made me uneasy.

Today, avoiding Oliver was no longer an option. I found myself standing in front of his door, a vacuum in one hand and a set of cleaning supplies in the other. I took a moment to gather my thoughts and remind myself to keep the conversations with him brief should he initiate one. I was determined not to let his presence make me as nervous or apprehensive as before.

Jeremiah was in town with my dad, assisting with the groceries as we restocked our pantry to accommodate the incoming guests. It was a relief to know that he was not around today.

I took a deep breath, squared my shoulders, and knocked on Oliver's door. The seconds that followed felt like an eternity, but eventually, the door swung open, revealing Oliver on the other side.

"Hey," he greeted me with a warm smile that was both disarming and unsettling. "Need something?"

I cleared my throat, trying to keep my composure. "I'm just doing some cleaning today, and I'll need to vacuum your room. It won't take long."

Oliver stepped aside, gesturing for me to enter. "Sure thing, Lily. Make yourself at home."

As I set up the vacuum cleaner, I couldn't help but feel the weight of Oliver's presence in the room. Despite my initial intention to keep our conversation minimal, I could sense that it was already slipping out of my control.

I started the vacuum, its low hum filling the room as I began moving it across the carpet. Oliver took a seat on his bed, watching me with a casual interest.

"So, how's your summer been so far, Lily?" he asked, his voice conversational.

I kept my focus on the vacuum, trying to maintain a sense of detachment. "It's been good. Busy with the inn and all the guests, you know."

Oliver nodded, his gaze lingering on me. "I can imagine. Your family's place is pretty popular."

I offered a small, polite smile to avoid engaging in a more extended conversation. "Yes, it keeps us busy during the summer months."

The room was filled with the drone of the vacuum cleaner, and I thought that maybe the conversation had come to an end. However, Oliver surprised me by speaking again.

"You know, I've always admired people who can run a place like this," he said, leaning back on his bed. "It takes a lot of dedication and hard work."

I glanced at him briefly, appreciating his attempt at conversation. "Thank you, Oliver. It's a family effort, for sure."

He nodded, and there was a thoughtful look in his eyes. "I can't help but wonder what it's like to grow up in a place like Bay Saint Lawrence. It's so different from what I'm used to."

I paused the vacuum for a moment, giving him my full attention. "It's a small town, but it has its charm. Everyone knows everyone, and there's a sense of community here."