Chapter 4 POV Elsie

On the third day of the holiday, Vincent still hasn't contacted me. Unable to resist, I call Vincent and tell him that the Pigeon Restaurant in the city center is open, asking if he wants to go there for dinner. However, Vincent says he is on a business trip.

"Business trip? How far is it?"

I hesitate. "I still have a few days off; I can go and accompany you."

Vincent doesn't answer. I hear someone asking him a question on the other end of the phone, and he replies quietly, "Figure it out yourself."

I'm not sure if he's talking to the person on the other side or me. A few seconds later, I felt deflated.

"Never mind, Mr. Vincent. Let's meet when you come back."

"Okay."

After hanging up, I think Vincent won't come to see me during this holiday, so I continue watching Jingdezhen Grandma's videos. I also buy clay and an electric kiln online to try making ceramic cups at home. The cup I make is plain white, without any decoration, but it turns out successful.

In the evening, wearing a mask, I go out to eat.

It's a famous street food market with many people; almost every stall has a queue. There's a variety of snacks, from Mexican burritos to Hong Kong-style milk tea.

I buy a cup of milk tea and find a less crowded corner to secretly remove my mask and sip the pearls.

Just at this moment, my phone in my pocket suddenly rings.

I pick it up without looking.

"Hello, this is Vincent."

I pause for a second and quickly say, "Hello, Mr. Vincent."

"I'm back. Are you free now?"

Of course.

But as I'm about to reply, a group of people walk by, so I quickly put on my mask.

"Uh, Mr. Vincent, I'm at the street food market now."

The implication is that I need some time to go home, freshen up, and dress up since I'm currently completely without makeup, and my oversized black coat makes me look like a sack.

"Street food market?" Vincent catches on to my keywords.

"Yeah."

There's a brief silence on the phone.

Then he speaks, "I haven't had dinner yet. If it's convenient for you, can you bring me something when you come?"

I stand frozen in place, the wind chilling me to a shiver.

"Elsie? Are you there?"

"Uh, the signal was bad just now." A few syllables squeezed out of my throat automatically.

"If it's inconvenient, never mind."

"No, no, I'm happy to help. What do you want to eat?"

"Anything is fine. I don't have any dietary restrictions." He pauses and adds, "Thanks; I'll reimburse you for the expenses."

"Uh, that's not necessary. I'll treat you."

After hanging up, I stand in the wind, feeling disheveled.

Forty minutes later, carrying bags of various sizes, I arrive at Vincent's apartment building in the city center, according to the address he provided.

While waiting for the elevator, I see my reflection in the doors—a complete mess: a mask, black-framed glasses, a black knitted cap, and an exceptionally oversized scarf. I have to take them all off one by one, stuffing them into the large pockets of my coat, and then using my hand to tidy up my hair.