Chapter 22 POV Vincent

The car merges back into the traffic.

I take her home and then go out.

"Where are you going?"

"The supermarket."

Half an hour later, I return home carrying two large shopping bags.

Elsie is watching TV in the living room. When she sees me come in, she walks over and want to take the bags.

I put on slippers and move my arm backward.

"They're heavy," I say.

The bags are full of groceries.

"I can't cook; the chef from my parents' side will come later."

People with anemia need rich nutrition, so I bought a variety of items from meat, eggs, and dairy to vegetables and fruits.

In addition, there's a bouquet of white roses, wrapped in newspaper.

"This is for you," I say.

Elsie looks at me, picks up the bouquet, and looks around.

I go to the sideboard and bring a blue and white porcelain vase to her.

It's the one she gave me.

Elsie washes the vase, fills it with water, takes kitchen scissors from the wall hook, and cuts the stems of the roses at the base. She arranges them in the vase one by one.

I involuntarily watch her. She is wearing a thin knitted sweater with a wide neckline. With her movements, it seems like it will slide off her shoulders in the next second.

The roses are blooming fresh, enhancing her complexion, not as pale as before.

She finishes arranging the flowers, puts the vase on the dining table, then smiles, picks up her phone, and takes a photo of the flowers.

She likes it.

I silently note to buy her more in the future.

Later, Elsie feels a bit tired, so I let her take a nap in the bedroom, and I'll wake her up when dinner is ready.

After storing the groceries, the intercom at the entrance rings.

I walk to the door and unlock it.

Soon, there's a knock on the door. I open it and welcome the tall, thin woman outside.

Susanne is the chef from the old mansion. My parents are traveling for Easter, so I borrowed her for the occasion.

"There are no slippers at home. Susanne, can you use shoe covers?"

Susanne quickly agrees.

"It's cold, and it's also a holiday. Thank you for coming over," I say as she puts on the shoe covers.

"It's okay. I'm not a Christian anyway."

Susanne takes off the hair tie from her wrist to tie her hair, and heads to the kitchen.

"What would you like to eat?"

"I bought groceries. You decide, make a nutritionally balanced dinner for two, suitable for a patient with anemia."

"For two?" The flames of gossip ignite in her eyes as she looks around.

I smile. "She's sleeping."

Susanne nods, lowering her voice.

"Any dietary restrictions?"

"None."

Susanne quickly prepared three dishes and a soup – pan-seared steak, stir-fried shrimp, sautéed vegetables, and a winter melon soup.