.016 | do you have something to say lukey?

in this darkness - clara la san ❝wanna take it backwanna take it back to when wehad it just like thathad it right on track

wanna take it back
wanna take it back to when we
had it just like that
had it right on track.

( PRESENT

( PRESENT. )

JANE smiled as she set down her keys, kicking off her shoes. "i'm turning it on emma geez!" she laughed at her sister, "hurry you already missed the first few minutes!" emma said into the phone and jane rolled her eyes. "sorry some of us actually work." she heard emma scoff but she was too busy turning on jacks game. "oh jack has the puck!" emma yelled, "he's on a breakaway!" she was hyped up, jane furrowing her brows.

"wait mines behind." usually it wasn't but instead of emma cheering for a jack goal, she gasped. "oh shit..." she mumbled, "did you see? jane?" emma mumbled once more and that's when jane seen it. jack lost an edge, which wasn't uncommon but he was going so fast his body slammed into the boards.

she gasped, standing up instantly like she was there with him. like she wanted to rush out onto the ice.

"jane?" emma spoke into the phone, "not good.." she had whispered because she was most likely talking to her mom and dad. jane had her hand over her mouth, seeing jack skate off.

"i'm gonna go." she mumbled into her phone as jack skated off. "wait don't go he's back on the ice." emma encouraged, knowing her sister was freaking out at home alone. "i'll call later." she hung up. she knew jack, despite the injury he would still try to play. she remembers a fight they got into years ago, when he had fell and hit his head. he insisted he could play and jane got so mad she started raising her voice which never happens.

she knows how physical hockey was, it almost scared her. the thought of jack getting hurt always caused her stomach to flip and her heart to race. when jack skated to the bench and into the locker room she shook her head. she wished she could be in there, she wished she could be there for him. jane wouldn't be able to know if he was okay.

or could she?

while jane sat for the rest of the game, anxiously biting her nails jack was being evaluated. the news wasn't great, he was in pain. he instantly started beating himself up, angry with himself. then once he calmed down, assured his brother, he knew his mom would be freaking out.

he knew jane would be too.

jane could hardly watch them lose, even getting up and starting laundry. she wasn't hungry anymore, despite her long work day. she was leaving chicago tomorrow to travel with the team. her bags weren't even packed so she listened to the remainder of the game while she busied herself.

she gave it an hour after the game was over before she called. she had to know and make sure he was okay. jane thought back to the time jack got hurt, his rookie year. that was the time she almost reached out, instead she had her mom get the scoop with how jack was doing from ellen, then reporting back to her.

the phone only rang once before jack picked it up. he had just gotten off the phone with his mom and was going to call jane anyways.

"hi pretty girl." he mumbled sweetly, jane sighing. "are you okay?" she asked instantly, hearing his voice already made her feel better. "i'm okay jay..." she could hear the sadness in his voice. she frowned, stopping what she was doing and laying in her bed.

"good thank god." jack smiled softly, laying his head back. silence passed before jane rolled over, "your shoulder?" she asked and he nodded even though she couldn't see him. "uh yeah... unfortunately but it wasnt the shoulder i dislocated so that's a plus."

"oh i was worried about that." the girl put him on speaker, "i'm sorry jacky..." this definitely put a damper on jacks mood. he was leading in points and was already planned to have a breakout year, topping the already incredible season last year. it hurt him, he hated it but it was something that he was better at accepting than he was when he was younger.

"it happens." he summed up, and finally after it set in she sat up. "pretty girl?" she just wanted him to be okay and now she realized how he answered the phone.

he chuckled, "that's what you are isn't it?" he teased and her cheeks instantly blushed. "oh jesus." she heard it in the back ground, luke's groan and she laughed. "is that lukey i hear?" her phone buzzed and she saw the facetime request. her eyes widened, she was not ready for that. her hair was a mess on her head and she had her pjs on.

"answer it!" jack pleaded and she rolled her eyes. when he appeared on camera she smiled. he was in pjs himself, currently trying to brush his hair out of his face. "do you have something to say lukey?" jane asked and luke popped into frame.

"you know what... i don't even care i missed you." luke had grabbed the phone out of jacks hand. jane watched him move and he set the phone down. "look at those curls my god they've gotten crazier?" luke's mouth dropped and he couldn't help the blush on his cheeks. he was always the one pestering jane when they were younger. he remembers the times he would latch onto her leg to hide from jack, knowing jack would never hurt her.

he stood up fully, jane's mouth falling open. "jesus luke you're huge." his arms were toned, muscles showing through his shirt. he stood tall and when jack stood next to him she almost wanted to giggle, "what can i say?" luke shrugged and jack rolled his eyes.

"alright that's enough." he reached for the phone but luke swatted his hand, snatching it before jack could get a chance. "luke." he called but luke was rushing around, hiding the phone to his chest. "nope!" he laughed and jane felt her chest warm. he still had that little kid laugh.

"im serious luke!" it sounded like they were chasing each other. "i barley got to talk to her!" jane laughed, shaking her head. "alright boys settle down, luke stop making your brother run he's injured." he groaned, pulling the camera up now. "exactly that's my motive."

"he knows i'll still beat his ass. now give me." jack yanked the phone out of his hand, his face showing back up on the screen. jane never got to tell them how happy she was that luke went to jersey. he got to play with his brother and that was pretty special. she always wondered where he would go after umich. it was perfect in her eyes that he got drafted to the devils.

jack sat back down on the couch, eyeing the phone. jane gave him a small smile and luke gagged, "shut up!" jack laughed at his little brother, shaking his head. "okay thanksgiving." luke started and jane furrowed her brows. "you're going to mich right?" luke asked and jane hummed a 'mhm'.

"we are too, so we can plan a dinner and-" jane smiled, luke was being so endearing. she wanted thing to be like how they were, but he needed to understand that it would take time. everyone has spent time apart, everyone is grown up now.

"okay okay let's leave that one to our parents." jack stopped him and luke stuck out his bottom lip. "you guys are no fun." he simply got up, smacking jack in the head before jane couldn't see him anymore. she held in a laugh, "see what i have to deal with? save me." jack whispered and that only caused her to laugh even more. "love ya jane!" luke called and jane blinked back the tears that she felt.

authors note:
jacks injury this year actually made me wanna kms
he's healthy now tho we're good