Chapter 99: Ambush

Zhang Yi asked with concern, "Are you okay?" Jiang Lei didn't expect Zhang Yi to inquire about his well-being and quickly replied, "Just a scratch, nothing serious." Zhang Yi immediately expressed his frustration, "These days, the scoundrels from the He Gang almost injured one of my important generals!" "Jiang Lei, you don't need to be on duty tomorrow; take a rest." Afterward, he addressed the large group, "You all did well tonight. Tomorrow, we'll have a commendation ceremony. Anyone who participated in the attack on the He Gang will receive a minimum reward of two portions of food!" "Jiang Lei, brave and injured, deserves everyone's admiration. So, tomorrow, he will rest for a day. Additionally, he will be rewarded with an extra-large portion of braised pork rice!" Upon hearing Zhang Yi's inspiring words, the neighbors were thrilled. Despite the loss of eight neighbors, did it really matter at this point? They had become somewhat numb to such events. Most importantly, tomorrow they would receive double the guaranteed food ration! What envied many was Jiang Lei, who could actually enjoy braised pork rice in such dire times! Even if they had ingredients, they had no access to enough seasonings to cook. Lighting a fire was also out of the question. They had been eating whatever was available, almost forgetting the taste of braised pork rice. "Zhang Yi, you're mighty! Roar!" "It's still best to stick with Zhang Yi; we get to eat meat!" "Damn, didn't get any heads this time, but the next braised pork rice will be mine for sure!" Many secretly resolved to fight even harder!

...

The next morning, Zhang Yi donned equipment covering his entire body, feeling at ease as he left his home. He planned to check out nearby large malls and hotels, searching for useful items. Climbing out of the fourth-floor window, he noticed that the snow had collapsed in a large area in front of him, stained with sporadic blood. Zhang Yi sighed briefly, reflecting on the numerous battles that had taken place recently. Brushing off the thought, he focused and retrieved the snowmobile from his hiding spot, heading towards the outskirts of the neighborhood. As the engine roared to life, that familiar feeling returned—the sensation of being watched. Though Zhang Yi couldn't see the people behind the windows clearly, he knew many eyes were fixed on him. Raising his head, he cast a cold glance over one high-rise building after another. These people might become his enemies in the near future, dying at his hands. His gaze moved from afar, but as he swept past one particular building, he suddenly felt something was amiss. Building 21. The red "21" on the wall was conspicuous, triggering a strong sense of discomfort in Zhang Yi's heart. "Building 21, the Wolf Gang..." Zhang Yi furrowed his brows slightly, contemplating, and his gaze became more intense. "I knew something was wrong about this place!" Building 21, where the Wolf Gang resided, wasn't far from their building. However, despite knowing that Zhang Yi possessed a considerable amount of supplies and a snowmobile, they hadn't made a move against him. Initially, Zhang Yi thought they were being cautious, afraid of him. But now, it seemed overly strange. Being cautious was one thing, but they were a group of passionate youngsters around the age of 20. Faced with the tempting snowmobile, it was impossible for them to remain indifferent. What was even more peculiar was that the owners of other nearby buildings had approached Zhang Yi to discuss cooperation. Only the members of the Wolf Gang had never contacted him. This was abnormal, extremely abnormal! In Zhang Yi's understanding, such behavior had only one explanation—they were the silent dogs planning a surprise attack! Touching the pistol in his pocket, he thought of the large guns in the alternate space, loaded with bullets and ready to fire. It reassured him. He took out his phone, hurriedly sending messages to Uncle You and Zhou Keren, asking them to lock the doors at home and beware of sneak attacks from residents of other units. Then he stowed the phone away to prevent it from freezing. Starting the snowmobile, Zhang Yi drove ahead. When the vehicle reached the edge of the community, a sudden change occurred! Snowflakes burst into the air in front of him! Then, a wooden door stood upright, blocking the path of Zhang Yi's motorcycle. Unable to stop in time, he quickly turned the vehicle around. "Bang!" The motorcycle collided with the door, sending two individuals hidden in the snow flying. It turned out two people were concealed in the snow, using a rope to tie the door as a makeshift trap. Unfortunately, the flimsy door not only failed to trip Zhang Yi but also backfired, flinging the perpetrators into the snow. As evidence suggested, things from TV dramas shouldn't be imitated casually! Zhang Yi instantly realized that he had fallen into an ambush! Without much thought, seven or eight people emerged from the snow, brandishing weapons and yelling as they rushed toward Zhang Yi. Taking a deep breath of the frigid air, Zhang Yi calmed down. He swiftly pulled out the gun from his pocket. As the safety was disengaged, eight people had already closed in. Zhang Yi raised the gun and fired! "Bang!" "Bang!" "Bang!" If an ordinary person faced such close quarters, even with a gun, they would likely be in grave danger. However, Zhang Yi possessed precise marksmanship and exceptional control over space. None of his bullets went astray. Three shots, three dead in front of him, each with a headshot! Before he could catch his breath, several others with machetes approached within a meter. Raising their machetes high, they swung them down toward Zhang Yi! At the critical moment, Zhang Yi adjusted the gun's aim. The machetes hadn't descended when Zhang Yi's gun was already pointed at the head of one of the attackers, nearly shoved into his mouth. The man's body stiffened, about to say something. "Bang!" A gunshot, and a hole appeared in his head. This scene stunned the remaining four people, who had been charging forward. They had never seen someone so ruthless with a gun, effortlessly dispatching four of their comrades in an instant! Not giving them a chance to recover, Zhang Yi raised his gun and shot, taking down two more. By this point, the remaining four had lost their courage, turning around and running back in panic. Zhang Yi aimed at their backs, contemplating whether to shoot, but suddenly changed his mind. He bit the gun, then started the snowmobile and chased after them. Running in the snow, they were nowhere near as fast as the motorcycle. At this moment, the sound of the motorcycle reached their ears, terrifying them to the point of soiling their pants. Zhang Yi caught up with the last person, and the motorcycle directly rammed into him! Half of his body was on the snow, and Zhang Yi's motorcycle flipped him onto the ground. Without mercy, Zhang Yi began to crush him. With the combined weight of the person and the motorcycle exceeding 400 kilograms, the sensation of being trampled was unimaginable. The man emitted a pig-like scream; his spine was directly broken from the impact. The motorcycle rolled over his back and then his head. The remaining people, upon hearing the horrifying scream, turned even paler. Clenching their teeth, they ran forward as if pursued by malevolent spirits.