Chapter 195: Shattered Ice

Xu Chunlei's ability did indeed have a visual impact on Zhang Yi's attacks, but the range he could influence was not large enough. While he could protect himself, he couldn't shield others.
On the icy surface, people were scattered everywhere, desperately fleeing, and Zhang Yi could target anyone. Xu Chunlei, in his bid for self-preservation, began killing villagers from Xu Dong Village. After all, they had made the first move, so no matter how many Zhang Yi killed, it wouldn't affect him much.The military-grade sniper rifle, combined with Zhang Yi's enhanced abilities, produced a terrifying force. A single shot pierced through three people, filling the air with a mist of shattered blood.Zhang Yi pulled the bolt, aimed again, and two more bodies were pierced.Each sled was overcrowded with three or four people, carrying the bodies of their loved ones, making them unable to run fast. Someone soon realized the problem and shouted, "Quick, toss their bodies away! Hurry up and run!"The villagers from Xu Dong Village wore expressions of agony. The bodies they brought back were those of their fathers and brothers. The rural areas placed great importance on the concept of a proper burial. Even in death, the bodies had to be laid to rest in ancestral graves for the souls to find peace and bless future generations.However, the relentless pursuers behind them left them with no choice. Soon, a pile of bodies was thrown onto the icy surface.Though this had some impact on Zhang Yi's progress, it wasn't significant. The vehicle might be slower, but it was still faster than a sled pulled by dogs.Gunshots continued to ring out, the thunderous explosions of the large rifle echoing, with several villagers dying with each shot. Xu Chunlei, witnessing fellow villagers falling one by one, felt immense pain.His cousin, Xu Yongzhi, who had pulled him up, urgently shouted, "Chunlei, think of a way!"Others also looked at Xu Chunlei with pleading and expectant eyes. The only ones who could deal with the mutants were mutants themselves.With the pressure almost breaking his mind, in the midst of despair, a sudden spark of inspiration flashed in Xu Chunlei's mind.Facing the path ahead of Zhang Yi, he opened his right hand, and a faint blue light began to shine in his eyes.Exerting force with his right hand, a crisp sound echoed on the ice. A large crack appeared abruptly, extending across the ice.Continuing to exert force, the crack widened, and the shattered area on the ice expanded.Zhang Yi, in pursuit, saw the snowmobile tilting forward suddenly, causing his gun to skew. He quickly grabbed the car window, and due to the loss of balance, the automatic driving system applied the brakes.With the vehicle leaning to one side, Zhang Yi had to temporarily abandon the chase. Jumping out of the car window, he looked ahead, seeing a massive crack on the ice, stretching from left to right for more than ten meters. The area where the wheels sank had an even larger gap, with half of a tire submerged.This scene deepened Zhang Yi's gaze.The ice surface beneath his feet was at least five or six meters thick, so Xu Chunlei couldn't completely crack it open to make him fall into the river.However, just as Zhang Yi's abilities could continuously evolve, the power Xu Chunlei displayed this time might become even more formidable in the future.An ability to control ice and snow in this post-apocalyptic icy river scenario could become unimaginably powerful. Long-range attacks with a large coverage area, combined with the environment of the icy river apocalypse, had immense potential.Fortunately, Zhang Yi's ability had absolute defensive capabilities, effectively restraining Xu Chunlei's long-range ice and snow attacks.Looking into the distance, the people from Xu Dong Village had taken advantage of his vehicle malfunction and fled far away. Zhang Yi raised the sniper rifle in his hands, aiming at those who crossed the ice and entered the chaotic woods behind."Bang!""Bang!"Zhang Yi fired two more shots, randomly killing two villagers from Xu Dong Village.Once their figures completely disappeared, Zhang Yi stopped."It seems that we can't fight them on the ice in the future," Zhang Yi said cautiously, looking at the long crack beneath his feet. "If his ability were stronger or the ice layer thicker, I would have fallen into the icy water along with the car."Zhang Yi exhaled a puff of white smoke, took off the tactical goggles from his head, used the spatial ability to reposition the snowmobile, and drove back to the Cloud Pavilion Manor.The southern route was in chaos, with three-quarters of the traps destroyed, leaving only the villa and the surrounding fifty meters untouched. However, there was no need to be too distressed because enough invaders had been killed.Zhang Yi planned to clean up the area again and reorganize the traps at a later time.Upon returning home, Yang Mi lay weakly on the sofa, her face pale. The scenes of bloodshed tonight had caused her to vomit all the food she had eaten throughout the day.Although Zhou Ker was outwardly dissatisfied with her cousin, seeing her in such a weakened state prompted her to massage her head to help her relax.Seeing Zhang Yi return, Zhou Ker asked, "How was it? Did you catch the mutant who attacked us last time?"Yang Mi, with her beautiful eyes raised, looked weakly at Zhang Yi.Zhang Yi replied indifferently, "No. That guy is sneaky, never daring to confront me head-on. His ability to escape is disgusting, making it difficult to kill him."Primarily, Zhang Yi was overly cautious and didn't want to enter the opponent's territory. Otherwise, in a life-or-death struggle, he had almost no chance of losing to Xu Chunlei.Yang Mi, with her eyes lowered, suddenly asked in a weak voice, "Zhang Yi, aren't you afraid of being held accountable in the future for killing so many people? Murder is a crime."Her tone was soft, lacking strength.Zhang Yi sensed her wavering from her tone. Previously, Yang Mi had steadfastly believed that the snow disaster wouldn't last long, and there was no real apocalypse. Eventually, the world would return to its former state, and she would still be the dazzling superstar.However, witnessing the horrifying deaths of hundreds of people before her eyes today shook her beliefs.Zhang Yi raised an eyebrow, smiled, and walked up to her, reaching out to pinch her small, delicate face.Yang Mi's face felt exceptionally good, tender and smooth.Without explaining, Zhang Yi simply asked, "What do you think?"Yang Mi, with her eyelashes drooping, remained silent. Perhaps she knew herself that waiting for the return of civilized society was an unattainable dream.However, sometimes people were unwilling to face reality.Zhang Yi stood up, rubbed his stomach. After all the fighting, he was feeling a bit hungry."Ker, I'm a bit hungry. Prepare some food for me, will you?"Without hesitation, Zhou Ker left Yang Mi and said, "Sure, what do you want to eat?""Braised brain, spicy hot pot, stir-fried duck gizzards with garlic shoots, and Nine-Turned Large Intestine."Hearing these dish names, Yang Mi's face turned even paler."Ugh—"Zhang Yi grinned as he looked down at her."Why are you feeling a bit weak? How about you also eat some, to replenish yourself?"Yang Mi blushed furiously. "Are you a devil?"Seeing her angrily red face, Zhang Yi felt quite pleased. He leaned in close to Yang Mi's ear, "How about I supplement you a bit tonight, let you have some high-nutrition stuff?"Yang Mi's face turned even redder, but this time she didn't refuse.