𝟓

ELSIE

"What?" A nervous laugh broke through my lips as I stared at the man sitting in front of me.

"I want you to marry me." He repeated the words again like it was a regular conversation between friends about a normal topic.

The word marriage echoed in my head and I tried to think of any way that, that would make sense.

"What do you mean marry you?" I asked stunned. His face stayed stoic like every time I saw him.

The silence all around us was killing me. The man that was here earlier must have left as well because it was only me and Fenix.

He brought his hand to his hair and ran his fingers through the silky-looking dark strands. He seemed relaxed. Maybe a bit too relaxed given the sentence he just voiced.

"I want you to marry me, Elsie. What do you think that means?" The lines between my eyes deepened and now I was even more confused.

Who would expect to get a proposal from a stranger in a restaurant where they worked?

"Let me be more specific. I want you to be my wife on paper for couple of months. I know you need money and I can help you if you are willing to marry me."

"A fake wife?" I swear there must be hidden cameras somewhere here. Some kind of prank I assume.

"Yes." He nodded once.

"I'm doing just fine with my work here. I don't think that would be necessary. You can find another girl." I said slowly. I was still very much befuddled by the conversation we were having.

"You have no guarantee that you can keep this job. Taking care of a child is not easy. You don't want a better future for your nephew?" Of course he knew about Ian. He must have got all of the informations about me.

"Look, Elsie. This marriage I want, will last for couple of months after that, you won't see me. You'll do whatever you want alone and I'll do whatever I want alone. Clear?" He lifted his eyebrows. His voice even deeper.

I don't know if he always brought up things like he did now. All of a sudden and out of nowhere. How can he just walk in here and propose this kind of deal?

"I know what kind of work you do. I don't want getting entangled in that and I don't want that for my nephew as well." What will happen if I actually say yes and then we separate as he said? I can't risk putting Ian in that situation.

"As my wife and then ex wife you will have all the protection needed. You'll have a secure life with enough money for as long as you are alive. How does that sound?" That sounded magical but this was real world and this was a stranger who happened to be here every day for the past two weeks.

How could I trust him?

"And why did you choose me? You can marry any rich woman you want?" The question floated in my mind.

"Because I know you need help as much as I do."

"Why do you need a wife?" What if this was some kind of twisted thing and he needed a wife for some evil outcomes?