𝟖

ELSIE

"Elsie?" Aspen spoke from the other side of the phone. I have been planning to call her but there was no strength in me to lie to her as well.

She was the only person I had besides Ian. My only friend.

"Hi Aspen."

"I almost thought you died. Where are you? Did you quit? What's going on? Did you get sick or something?" Aspen bombarded me with questions. I stood up from the sofa and walked towards the kitchen, leaning my hip on the cabinet.

Ian was at school and I was home packing some of my stuff. I was getting married in exactly four days. I never would have thought my life would take a drastic turn in such a short amount of time.

A married woman. I was going to be a married woman. Even though it will be fake, I was still going to live with Fenix and wear his wedding band on my finger.

What in the actual heck? I still couldn't process, that I will be leaving this place.

"I'm fine. Nothing bad has happened. Sorry for not calling you earlier. Are you at work?"

"I have ten more minutes of lunch break." Oh yeah. Lunch was at this time.

"Well, I have some little news for you?" I cringed and bit my lip in nervousness. How am I gonna drop this bomb on her?

"Did you get pregnant?"

"Noo! What? No. Something else." I almost laughed at her question but the answer wasn't going to be any better.

I heard her munch on food and she was probably sitting in the back rooms with a sandwich in her hands.

"I'm getting married." The words left my lips casually but I was screaming inside.

"Yeah and Henry Cavill confessed his love for me. Girl don't joke." She snorted and I knew she won't believe me. I haven't dated anyone and now I'm suddenly getting married.

"I'm being serious. My wedding's in four days and I want you to be there with me." I continued

Aspen was still eating and then all of a sudden silence prevailed on the other side of the line. Not a single sound was heard.

I started to pace the living room and ran my fingers through my hair. It was down and wavy. I didn't have time to do anything with it today.

"Elsie, are you for real? What kind of marriage?" This time she sounded more serious.

"I'm getting married to Fenix. Fenix Carolingian."

"What?!" She exclaimed and then lowered her voice, she was at work after all. "What are you talking about? Carolingian?"

"Yes." There were hushed voices and then a door closing, she must have went somewhere where she was alone.

"The man who was visiting you every day? That one? The Carolingian?"

"That one, yes."

"When? How?..." She started asking all kinds of questions.

"We kind of hit it off you know when he was visiting and stuff." The lie was pretty stupid but I didn't have any choice. I facepalmed myself at my words but I had to lie.