chapter two . the invitation

SILVER

THE ATMOSPHERE IN THE ROOM was dark and solemn as the Valeska family sat together at the wooden dining room table.

Tatijana was dragging her fork through her plate of food as she thought in silence. When she figured she was ready to finally eat she stabbed her fork through a strawberry, but still didn't have the will to bring the food up to her lips.

The thought of eating at a tragic time like this made her sick to her stomach.

Looking up she glanced at her siblings calculatingly.

They were also playing with their food, sad expressions on their faces.

The only one eating nonchalantly was Wendeline, and she seemed to be in deep thought about something.

"I don't know how you can eat in a time like this Wendeline," Tatijana said and Wendeline met her judgemental gaze.

"I haven't eaten anything all day. Can you blame me?" she questioned with a shrug, and Tatijana pursed her lips.

"If my uncle died I don't think I would be stuffing my face."

They both glared at each other at Tatijana's words and Danika cleared her throat.

"It's okay Tatijana, everyone copes in different ways. I'm sure Wendeline is sad. She loved our Uncle too, I know this," Danika said and Mileena nodded in agreement.

Tatijana rolled her eyes and didn't reply.

Sometimes Tatijana was concerned about the mental state of Wendeline.

They all quieted down as their mother entered the room, reading a letter in her hand.

"What's that Mama?" Mileena asked, her voice soft as if they just got caught doing something they shouldn't.

Their mom was quiet for a moment as she continued to read through the letter before looking up.

"It's a letter from the royal family themselves," she said and they all gasped.

"What do they want?" Tatijana asked intrigued.

Their mom smiled excitedly.

"They've invited my daughters, you three, to enjoy the festivities at the castle, including being one of the women the crown prince chooses to be his wife," she said and they all stared at each other in surprise.

"Us? We're allowed to participate in that?" Danika asked in disbelief.

"You are," their mom said and they smiled at one another.

"But Wendeline won't be participating," she said and they all quieted down.

"Why not?" Mileena wondered in curiosity and a quietness took over the room.

Mama took a few moments to answer.

"It is my belief that Wendeline is barren. I don't want her to be embarrassed, and y'all already know what everyone thinks about her," she answered and Tatijana couldn't help feeling sympathy for her step sister.

There was nothing worse than being a barren woman.

Wendeline stared down at the table with a dead expression.

"You can still look around and go to all the events, Wendeline. Don't be sad."

Wendeline didn't say anything but instead got up and walked out of the room without another word. Even though Tatijana knew her mother found leaving the table unanswered rude, Mama didn't stop her.

"She'll come around," Mama said and Tatijana knew that to be true.

Wendeline was great at brushing off things.

"You will all pack your bags and we'll be on our way out there in the morning," she told them and they nodded.

Tatijana couldn't help but be excited. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. She was not about to pass it up.

The thought of being queen of Xazlamar excited her, and she found herself smiling.

_________________________________

Word Count: 582
Overall Word Count: 2356

.