chapter seventeen . ashes to ashes

SILVER

TATIJANA AND DARKOWE HAD FRONT row seats to Wendeline's execution, and there was nothing that had her spirits up more than that.

Her hand was placed in Darkowe's, and they stood together staring up at Wendeline who was tied down to wood.

Wendeline's face was bruised and bloody, and she was still wearing the same dress she wore when Jaroslav died. She looked dirty and Tatijana almost took pity on her.

The scar Tatijana had left on her face stood out, and she was proud of her work. Tatijana knew that Wendeline had been beaten and tortured for Jaroslav's death, but didn't mind. It's not like she didn't deserve it. Wendeline had been asking for it.

The queen and the king came to stand beside them, sadness in their eyes.

Wendeline wouldn't look down at them staring straight ahead blankly even as everyone spew spits and slurs at her.

Her sister Danika didn't have the heart to come to the execution, not wanting to see another one of her sister's die.

A crowd was gathered around the soon to be bonfire, looking at the person accused of killing the prince and judging her.

Someone gave the king the torch and everyone was silent as they watched him stare at Wendeline.

"Any last words Wendeline Valeska?" he asked her but she remained silent.

Wendeline hadn't said a word since she'd been placed there. Tatijana could see trauma behind her eyes so she could only imagine what had happened to her in the dungeon.

"Silence? So be it," the king said and immediately torched the wood.

Ashes to ashes, Wendeline, Tatijana thought as the wood began to burn, immediately blazing rapidly.

The fire took hold of Wendeline's dress and she began to catch on fire. But surprisingly no screams escaped her throat. Not even when the flesh began to melt off her skin.

Tatijana watched unwavering until her body was charred. It was a pretty sight.

"That was nice," Darkowe told her and Tatijana nodded in agreement.

"Something feels off though," she said as Darkowe began to lead her away from the fire, everyone else also beginning to go.

"What's off?" Darkowe asked her and she remained silent as she thought about it.

She didn't hear the screams of a banshee.

Tatijana looked back and couldn't see a body behind the flames and that made her suspicious but the thoughts quickly left her mind as Darkowe began to talk about their future together.

___________________________________

Word Count: 411
Overall Word Count: 17073