chapter twelve . little one

GOLD

DMITRIK WAS THE ONE TO come up with the idea, but Wendeline and him were now headed off to find a banshee.

     It wasn't something she'd been expecting to do, but she hoped it'd work out.

     "I want to hear the full story from you dear. I know the basic concept but I think it'd be beneficial to hear it from you," he said as they trudged through the woods.

     Wendeline bit her bottom lip as she thought and then spoke.

     "It was the day my father came back from a business trip." She remembered it like it was yesterday.

     "He gave me a bracelet that day. I was the only one who he gave a gift to so Tatijana threw a fit. Oksana tried to convince me to give it to her but I wouldn't," she said, her eyes hardening.

     "Tatijana decided to grab a knife and stabbed my father through the heart. He died within minutes... She didn't even apologize or cry, she just went off like it was a normal day."

     Dmitrik slowly nodded.

     "And you don't know why she did it?"

     "No," Wendeline answered.

     "Oksana didn't want Tatijana to remember so she got a witch of some sort to wipe her memory and threatened to kill me if I told anyone about what Tatijana did. I was stupid and listened to her," Wendeline said, shaking her head as she wiped a tear from her eyes.

     "Tatijana hates me because I think she thinks I killed my own father. I never heard it from her directly but that's what it seems like when that's not the case. She thinks I hate her for no reason," Wendeline said.

     "And you want her to know what she did," Dmitrik stated and she nodded.

     "It's not fair that I have to live with it and she doesn't."

     "It's not," he agreed.

     "Are we almost there?" Wendeline questioned and Dmitrik didn't say anything as they were slowly approached by a figure. They were dressed in a black cloak, covering their face and making them look like a phantom.

     "What do you two want?" a raspy voice whispered from behind the cloak.

     "We want you to do us a favor. Reveal the death of a loved one to another," Dmitrik spoke for her.

     The cloak figured released a laugh, the chuckles sending a chill down Wendeline's spine.

     "I don't do anything for free. Everything has a price. What do you have for me?"

     Wendeline glared at Dmitrik and he smiled. He gestured for her to give the banshee something and she frowned.

     Stepping forward she took the bracelet on her wrist off and held it out for the creature, and they took it.

     "Thank you Little One," they said, pocketing the bracelet without looking at it. It caused Wendeline's heart to ache, but she remained quiet.

     "You'll come back with us and Wendeline will tell you what she wants you to show her," Dmitrik said and the creature nodded.

     "As you wish."

_____________________________

Word Count: 500
Overall Word Count: 12261