chapter four . beautiful women

SILVER

THERE WAS A LONG LINE of people waiting to meet the royal family.

     It was a tradition every year for the princesses and princes to meet some of the commoners from the Xazlamar Kingdom. The Valeska's were amongst the many families in line and Tatijana couldn't contain her excitement.

     A bright smile adorned her face as she gazed ahead.

     The line went outside the throne room, likely extending outside the palace as well. Fortunately, her family had gotten there early, or else they would've been a part of the many waiting outside. After a few hours the royal family would stop greeting people and close the palace doors.

     At the moment they were about five groups from where Tatijana wanted them to be.

     "What do we say?" Mileena questioned, running a hand through her golden curls anxiously.

     "Say whatever you want, just be yourself," Danika replied dismissively. Tatijana could tell her sister didn't want to be in the long line, but how else would they capture the eyes of the crown prince? They had to attend every part of the festivities.

     "I feel like if I am myself, nobody will like me," Mileena ranted, nervousness etched on her face.

     "Nonsense, darling. You have an amazing personality. I know they'll love you," her mother said and Mileena smiled at the validation.

     "Oh! Look who's coming," Danika exclaimed under her breath.

     Turning her head, Tatijana and her family watched a group of royals walk down the line, acquainting themselves with the people in the line.

     There was a woman and a man who Tatijana assumed was her husband, and three guards trailed behind them silently.

     "Who are they?" Mileena asked, curiosity in her eyes.

     "The Galowych's," her mother answered.

     "Really?" Wendeline questioned, showing the first sign of interest out of the whole time they've been standing in line.

     The woman had fiery red hair, green eyes, and milky white skin. She was gorgeous without a doubt.  A ruby red dress complimented her complexion and she wore golden jewelry. The man had black hair, and brown eyes. He was a handsome lad. He had his hand placed into his wife's hand to indicate he was still with her as she smiled and waved at each person in line.

     They all quieted down as the Galowych's stopped in front of them and smiled.

     "Hello I am Kasmira and this is my husband Miroslaw Galowych. You have such beautiful daughters," she complimented with a polite grin.

     "I am Oksana Valeska,-"

     "Very sorry for your loss. I heard about what happened to Hedeon. Good man," Miroslaw interrupted as he immediately recognized the name Valeska.

     "Thank you," her mother replied with an awkward forced smile.

     "These are my daughter's Danika, Mileena, Tatijana, and that's Wendeline," she said pointing to each one of them.

     "Just gorgeous. I'm sure one of them ought to catch the eye of the crown prince," Kasmira winked at them and Mileena began to flush red.

     "I do hope so," her mother grinned.

     "Well I'll definitely be seeing you all around. It was lovely talking but I still have a whole line of people to greet," Kasmira chuckled and then began to walk off with her husband arm in arm.

     "She seemed lovely," Tatijana smiled.

     "She is," her mom agreed.

     The line began to push forward, and Mileena could barely contain her excitement as they got closer.

     As they waited behind the family before them they listened to their conversation silently.

     The queen and the king sat side by side one another, and both princes sat on opposite sides of their parents. The crown prince was beside his father, and the other prince was beside their mother. They all say up straight but from their eyes Tatijana could tell they were growing bored of greeting person after person.

     At the moment the men in front of them were trying to tell the royal family a hunting trip story but even the king himself showed little interest.

     "Thank you for the story. It was nice meeting you and your family," Queen Nikola said with a genuine smile.

     "Thank you ma'am," he bowed and then ushered his family away as he seemed to sense the atmosphere and that they didn't want to talk any further.

     "Oksana Valeska," King Casimiro said in recognition.

     "The one and only."

     "How are you holding up?" The Queen asked.

     "Life's going on," she replied simply. "Got my daughter's to help me hold on."

     "She has beautiful daughters, doesn't she?" Queen Nikola asked her sons and they both shrugged.

     "I suppose," the crown prince, Jaroslav, mumbled disinterestedly.

     "Ignore him, he's just irritated he has to be here," The King said. "He hates politics, but loves war."

     Tatijana couldn't help but crack an amused smile.

     As she looked between the members of the royal family she locked eyes with the second prince.

     He was staring at her curiously, and she just smiled at him.

     She knew him as Darkowe Archaki. His brother was Jaroslav Archaki. The prince who didn't want to be the future king.

     "Hope one of these days you'll have dinner with us Oksana," The Queen probed and her mother nodded.

     "I would love that. Also, thank you for our lovely rooms. We dearly appreciate it," she said.

     "Of course, my dear," she smiled.

     "Well, we'll be seeing you all around," Queen Nikola said, and they nodded at her appreciatively.

     "What is your name," Darkowe spoke, eyeing her down. Tatijana gulped.

     "Tatijana Valeska," she replied. Darkowe mouthed her name on his lips.

     "Beautiful," he grinned. "I hope to see you again."

     The Queen smiled at her son's interest, and even her mother looked happy.

     Jaroslav just rolled his eyes.

     "Thanks again," her mother said and began to walk away. They followed behind her silently.

     "That was awesome," Mileena said. "Jaroslav looked at me."

     Danika giggled and didn't say anything.

     "Tatijana managed to capture the eyes of one of the princes, so I think we should applaud her for that," Wendeline spoke up, and Tatijana just stared at her.

     Wendeline complimenting her? That was a rare occasion, and her comment seemed genuine.

     "Thanks, but I'm sure that he was merely jesting," Tatijana replied, truly believing that.

     "I think he likes you," her mom spoke up. Tatijana scoffed, but remained silent so they didn't continue to argue on the matter.

     Besides, even if he did, she had her eyes set on Jaroslav. That's who she wanted.

     Next time she was going to try harder to get his attention.

__________________________________

Word Count: 1085
Overall Word Count: 4845