Chapter 1: The First Glance Beneath the Amber Sky

The gift

«y/n come down here, your boyfriend is here». I put my long and straight hair up in a bun. I glanced at myself in my mirror. My warm chocolate-brown hair color compliments my hazel eyes. I think I am pretty, but not that pretty. I put on my glasses and threw on the nearest sweater I have. It is a dark green crewneck with a logo on it. The sweater is not that great, but it is still my favourite since I got it from my father right before he died. It smells like cinnamon and diesel, just like him. Every day I wished I never went to that damn football game. If I just stayed at home, he never would have... "y/n get your ass down here!" my mom screams again. Sigh, I take one last sniff before I run down the stairs.

"Happy birthday y/n." I see my boyfriend Elliot standing there with a cupcake with one candle on it. "Omg thank you baby" I walk over and give him a peck on the lips, mom is looking. "Oh chocolate?" I ask. I can taste the deep, dark chocolate flavour from his lips. Its delicious. "Yeah, I made your favourite." "Do you ever listen?" I think to myself. I've told him several times my favourite is carrot cake.

Elliot is handsome, his blonde curly hair falls to his eyes but just not far enough so I can see his beautiful sapphire like blue eyes. He is impossible to resist. But he never listens. Maybe his excessive use of perm has chemically damaged his brain. I don't know...

"Elliot, I love you" I gave him another peck. "But you know my favourite flavour is carrot cake." I sigh under my breath. "Huh? But you said you hated orange". I roll my eyes and sigh again. I shake my head. "You are a silly man. But you are my silly man.". "I love you y/n" he says as he hands me an envelope. "Open it baby" he says while giving me the puppy dog eyes. I can't help but fold for him.

I rip open the envelope. "A ticket for.... Manchester United vs Manchester city at Etihad Stadium?" "Yeah babe, isn't it awesome? Phil gave it to us for free and I thought it was the perfect gift for your birthday." He says excitedly. He looks so happy, and I don't have the heart to tell him that it is literally the worst gift he could have given me. Does he not even remember what happened last year? Does he even care about me. 

The gift seems more like a gift for him than me. "It's... great babe. Thank you". I see my mom staring is disbelief from the corner of my eyes. I can sense her disappointment. It is suffocating the air in the room. "I also bought you a city shirt" Elliot says as he hands over a blue shirt with nr 10 on it. "Grealish? Who is that" I ask as I shrug my shoulders. He laughs as he playfully punches my shoulder, as if he thinks I'm joking. "Get in the car, we are leaving now" he gives me a kiss and happily walks to his Lamborghini.

The game

Me and Elliot find our places at the stadium. It is huge but there are not really that many people. I look around and see several empty seats. The game is about to starts, there should be more people. There is loud singing and yelling coming from the away end. That must be the United supporters. The players are warming up. My eyes gravitate towards one of the red devils. Number 19, I think it says Duran. I'm not sure, it's hard to read at this distance. But oh my god he is good looking. 

I see Elliot coming with some hot dogs that he bought, and I think to myself "Damn he has nothing on Duran". The speaker starts listing the line-up. "Nr 19 Raphael Varane". Oh shit, it was Varane. I was way off! That made him even sexier. Elliot hands over his sausage "Here babe, enjoy". The march air mixes with the smell of old men, hot dogs and beer. I want to leave. At least the sausage tastes kind off good.

The game starts. From what I understand City is at the top of the league with one point separating them from the red devils. The stakes are high, both teams need his win badly. I can feel the tension in the air. Everyone is nervous, some look afraid. This is life or death. The game reaches half time. There has been chances both ways. All the white shorts are dirty now from tackling. I don't really care that much but there are two players I notice more than the others. Varane is not only a pretty face, that man is like a Rolls Royce. He has defended everything. And the blue nr 17. Wow he is dominating the middle.